Engine to frame Ground cable

Started by udidwht, May 26, 2022, 02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

udidwht

Going to replace the engine - frame ground cable. Any suggestions on which cable to get?
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 28ft
P30 454 TBI w/4L80E VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
78,XXX US as of 8/2/23

eXodus

A large one.

ACDelco GM Original Equipment 20776808
ACDelco Professional EGS18

You need to measure which length you need.  Depending which engine year you got - the strap might be longer or shorter.

udidwht

78,XXX US as of 8/2/23

eXodus

yeah I know what part you  mean.

But need a end to end point measurement in inches, cm or what ever unit google offers to convert.

udidwht

78,XXX US as of 8/2/23

Mlw

As you've installed it now just use it till it become a problem again. I give it a few years depending how moist the environment is where you are, but these ground straps are (in my opinion) highly sensitive for corrosion.

I've dealt with a lot of iron sailing boats. All have one big problem which polyester ships don't have. Chassis ground. Because polyester doesn't carry electricity you see ground Buses which work much better because they are made for moist environments.

I've installed one for my chassis on my Betsy because there was a lot of resistance going on and you wouldn't believe the difference:

QuoteNext to this I made better ground connections fixing resistance issues in the wiring. For this I used an electrical busbar, and you could almost here Betsy go like Meg Ryan in "when Harry met Sally"  :D all the lights burn bright and happy again.

So what I've done is install a  Battery Disconnect switch to the negative pole of the battery.
Apple the correct  length wire and gauge wire size for the ground of your engine.
Apply a Ground bus for the chassis electronics. The more poles the more you can separate all the different electrical parts of you chassis.

The big advantage of this system is that you can shut off everything with one click when something goes wrong and you can be sure your battery isn't drained anymore and you have a semi immobilizer.

If you do this, it can be you also need to pull a ground wire to your coach battery to make sure that modern chargers, relays and starter help buttons still function correctly. This depends on the fact if your engine makes contact with your chassis or not. As the engine lies on montormounts it can be it's not connected to the chassis.

udidwht

Prior to install I gave the cable a good shot of DeoxIT D5S-6
78,XXX US as of 8/2/23