89 Chieftain Window Crank Replacement

Started by DMS Canada, April 09, 2022, 01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMS Canada

Hello Everyone,

Picked up my "new" '89 Chieftain about a week ago and I am in the process of prioritizing the repairs.

The Chieftain has a bunch of crank out windows and I think the all the gearboxes that operate them are worn out. It looks like they are riveted in from the outside of the window frames. This would mean that I would have to pull out all of the windows to get access to the cranks for replacement.  :(

Does anyone have experience or suggestions as to how best to make this as painless as possible?

Thanks in advance,
David.

86Winnie454

If I remember right, they are riveted in, instead of screwed into place, so I backed out rivets with a tool used for backing out screws when they break off. The replacement cranks are made with screws to secure the crank mechanism into place. You don't have to remove windows.  Your windows may need new exterior trim if the old trim has shrunk up, which is usually the case with 1980's era rv's.  Don't need me telling you anything, tho!!  Mine is an '86!

DMS Canada

OMG that is such a relief!! It would be a nightmare trying to remove and reinstall all those window frames.

I will definitely give that a try today, once the flurries subside today. (Canada, eh?)

Thanks a bunch,
David.