1989 Chieftain fuel issues?

Started by Mowery21, March 20, 2022, 10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mowery21

I was just given a 1989 Chieftain and it has 35k on it. Overall good condition but will not run unless hose is placed in a bucket of fuel near the manual pump. The manual pump is new and I assume it is probably the electronic pump in the tank or the fuel relay. RV has sat for 10 years or more and if I want it I have to move it this weekend. How likely is it that the fuel relay is the problem and not the pump? Problem I have is the tank has fuel in it and I am by myself with hand tools to work with. Does the RV have an access to the pump or do I have to remove the tank? I don't even know if it's worth the hassle other than the generator is pretty nice from what I've been told. I know this topic has been gone over but does anyone know the specific part number for the fuel pump or specific to my RV on replacement?  Running close on time and not sure if I can get it done or not.

Oz

Hello and welcome.  The fuel pump is a common problem.  Nope, no access to the in tank one unless you make one, which members have done.  Well covered topic.  Enter "fuel pump" in the search and select "this board" from the drop down.
:)ThmbUp
If  have additional questions not already covered,  just ask.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Mlw

Hello and welcome to the forum.

To answer your question: I guess you have to ask yourself what you want to do with it.

Straight answer to getting the RV from it's current whereabouts: If the RV is standing for 10 years with fuel in it, DO NOT USE THE TANK, unless you want a completely gummed up fuel system and want break down because the fuel in the tank will be varnished, and when it's a steel tank you could also have rust issues. You will not be happy when this is going to clog up your fuelsystem.

Buy or lend a Jerrycan of 5 gallons of more and run the RV from that. I will also strongly advise you to transport the RV and not drive it home. It's been standing for 10 years so not getting fuel will just be one of the problems this RV will have.

for the rest, I guess I can't give you any better advise than to read my story and ask yourself if you are willing to put yourself in the same position. You can get lucky, but if RV's like a 1989 Winnebago Chieftan are given away for free: there is a reason

1979 Winnebago Minnie Winnie W24RH named "Betsy"

But when finished, I will know my RV inside out and know for sure I'm going to have fantastic times with my partner, my godchildren now 8 and 5, and can't wait to get on the road with them.

DaveVA78Chieftain

For reference, 1989 will have a inline fuel installed on passenger side frame rail in the area of the rear wheels.
Dave
[move][/move]