1985 Cheitain 27 RU Alternator part number required

Started by Jupp318, February 22, 2022, 01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jupp318

Hi All,
I have a 1985 Cheiftain 27 on a Chevy P30 Chassis. My Alternator has failed and I need a replacement. The one I have removed is a Delco Remy and the only number I can find is on the rear casting and is 14N. I have looked on RockAuto and one that looks right and has the same connections is a Remy 20254. What I would like is some sort of confirmaton or otherwise that this is correct for my Winnie before I get it sent over the pond to the UK.
As always any pointers/help/information is most gratefully received.
Cheers Ian...

eXodus

the 454 is not specific to the P30 of those years.

You can google any 454 in the Chevy Silverado 2500 and 3500 Pickups to cross check (C20 / C30). GM is very good about keeping parts compatible over a long time.
I just installed a new updated starter which only came out in 2010 on a 454 from 1996. Needed new bolts but otherwise fine.

Mlw

Hi Ian,

Good tip from Exodus.

And another one: have you thought about rebuilding the alternator. That's what I've done.

Watching Wheeler dealers and Salvage hunters I know there are all kinds of small business in England helping people out with classic cars at decent prices.

My alternator looked dreadfull when I brought it in and got it back like new and the cost were about the same when I would have ordered one from the USA to the Netherlands including sending costs and import taxes, which are crazy in the EU at the moment.

Greetings,

Marc

Jupp318

When I went on to the Rockauto website I just selected Chevrolet > 1985 > P30 > 454 so the 454 was a proper engine variant for that year. I have now ordered an alternator which will be with me Monday. That's when the fun begins with getting it fitted. It was a bit of a game going the old one out to say the least. At least I will use some copper grease when reassembling it.
Thanks for the replies.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Jupp318

Ah well, the story didn't end with the fitting of the alternator. I took it for a test drive and all was well. I then had to take her to Gold RV of Alton Hampshire for some repair work. When I started her up everything seemed fine but I just needed a bit more air in the suspension but the compressor wouldn't run. I then used the battery voltmeter on the dash, it turns out the new alternator wasn't working. I took my rig to be repaired, risking it just running on the battery. Luckily I made it and asked that the new alternator be checked. The answer came back that it had failed. I used the Rockauto website to report the failure. They quickly sent a replacement without any question, which is working fine. The alternator I bought was a PURE ENERGY    7273103.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Mlw

Yep, I don't know what it is nowadays but failing brand new parts seems to be the new trend.

But don't you have a ampmeter on your dash? it should always be somewhat in the chargezone. If it's not or even in the discharge zone, you know your alternator isn't working.