1972 Brave suspension mod to boost his butt a titch?

Started by Brave Lady, February 19, 2022, 06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brave Lady

Hi, all you great folks! I've been poking around in here a bit but can't find an answer to my question.

I'm having my Brave restored here in Maryland, inside and out, and it's going beautifully.

However, I still have one item on my wish list that I can't seem to figure out on my own. The guys here at the shop are offering solutions that sound highly suspicious to me--something about "shackles," new leafs, airbags, etc.

Does anyone know how I might go about raising the back of the Brave some so he looks even more badass going down the road?

I'm wary, of course, of creating any issues that would make driving my beloved billboard down the road any worse on a windy day, and I'm concerned about dumping extra weight onto the front suspension.

I know many of you will think this ambition is dumb, but since the shocks and springs are 50 years old this month  ???, I figure hey, why not? Even if they've been replaced at some point, they are tired for sure.

I've looked into Bilsteins, Helwig, and a few other places, but they're all scared of my vintage beast on a Dodge chassis.

I mean, it's pretty much an old truck, right?? Should be simple. Also, air bags sound squishy and weird and expensive.

Thanks in advance for any leads or advice, peoples! I'd appreciate any possible sources or ideas. :) :)ThmbUp

Oz

Obviously, replace the shocks all around. I chose Bilstien.
Leaf springs can be re-arched.
Add air bags to the rear. I understand they're still available. Fronts are not. They don't sound squishy.  They are well worth the investment and easy to install.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

eXodus

I Second Bilstein shocks and new leaf springs.

But when you are on a budget.  SumoSprings do an amazing job on old suspensions.  Raised the back of my RV about 1-2 inches depending on load.

SumoSprings the 21 century version of an Airbag -  it's and Airbag without the air hoses and hassle.

Look it up.

Brave Lady

Brave Lady

Had not heard of SumoSprings! Thanks very much. Yes, definitely on a budget over here. Can't work fast enough to keep up with the renovation, lol! D:oH!

Oz

Yes, Sumo. That's another, good option. Are they air adjustible though?  Being able to adjust them is a big benefit.   And, installing the adjustible ones really isn't a hassle. It's easy.

eXodus

Oz, Sumosprings are available in 3 or 4 different densities. Depending on the weight you are carrying.

You need to know the weight on the axle - and then decide how much additional capacity you want to have.
For my 24ft (Total weight 11.000lbs)   P30 I picked the 2800lbs version of the SumoSprings  (I think the rear axle is around 7500)

That gave the rear a nice lift and also the bounce and sway is much better.

I've mounted the Sumo springs on a few vehicles - the hassle of the air springs is not the installation, but the maintenance and also air hoses.
Over the years I had a few air springs or valves leaking on me. Yeah no interested and those kinds of repairs anymore.

Sumo = Spring and Shock  in one.

There is still a place for air springs - when you change the load a lot - like on a Pickup truck.  But my RV is always loaded to the same amount. Like a few down to 100lbs difference between trips.  So no need to adjust all the time.

Oz

True, they do have good uses.  I found my Air Lift adjustible to be just the thing when towing a car or boat, or trailer.

Great info, thanks!
:) :)ThmbUp

Bonebag

I Imagine a shackle extension would work just like it would work on any other vehicle for a lift. Problem is our shackles on this vehicle are upside down and an extension would lower, not raise your body height. You may explore simply moving the left bracket to the right and the right bracket to the left and bolting/welding the brackets facing down. This might give you the lift alone without adding an extension shackle. I'm not familiar with the upside down shackle enough to know one way or the other, but I would try it if it were my goal.
:)ThmbUp !-!
72 Brave..resto mod - Disk Conversion - Diesel Heater - Air Bags modified to fit - 318 Holley Sniper