76 M500 Need fuel tank straps

Started by Wbelk40, February 13, 2022, 02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wbelk40

I have part numbers for what I need. So getting them might be a long shot getting them that way. Another way is seeing if any of you have any suggestions.  And the last route will be to find someone that is parting out their southwind.
I am in need of furl tank straps, anyone can help me out.

Oz

Finding them through part out is a long shot too.  And no telling what condition they may be in.  You may want to look into having them fabricated.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Wbelk40

Do you have any suggestions on where to get them done?

Oz

Arkansas travco

Wbelk40

Xbird

I parted out a '76 MB300 Chassis last year and have a set of tank straps. If you have the measurements, I can take a look at them for you to see if they'll work.

Oz

You're going to have to take measurements to go any farther with making a replacement or find the exact same year and model salvage RV in order to find a salvage replacement.

72Superior

If you can't find replacements your  best bet is to remove one and take it to a local fabrication shop as suggested. I say remove and drop because it's much easier for a fabrication shop to replicate it if they have it .

Raceluvr

As others have suggested, you might need to have them fabricated.  On my 78 M500, the front tank rests on rigid brackets, secured with the spring steel straps.  The rear tank hangs in a steel strap setup, with square steel sections at each end of the tank that keep the tank tight up against the frame after the straps are installed & tightened.  Unfortunately, when I dropped both of my tanks last year to have them hot tanked & re-lined, I wanted to install the tanks using new straps.  After months of looking, I found they were fabricated by the factory during the process of the chassis preparation to be a motor home and replacements do not exist, but must be made.  If you have the old ones, you'll need them as a sample for a shop to make new ones. If you can't find one being parted out, that will be your way to get replacements.