Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite XL House AC Wiring

Started by john from OZ, February 05, 2022, 12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john from OZ

Hi, I am new the Classic motor homes and maybe buying a Ford Aluma-Lite XL 25WB, bit of a problem as we are in Australia on 240V Mains and the HR is on 110V.
I have electrical background so the change up to 240V is not an issue, but until we take delivery my head is spinning with possible wiring scenarios,
1/ as to whether the 110v cabling will need to be replaced, depends on cable sizes and if ground wire present,
2/ where the cables run,
3/ are they accessible without stripping the inner lining from the motor home.

Has anyone here any information as per my issues? maybe been here before..

I do know the roof A/C , fridge, microwave and all lamps will need replacing, I can possibly wire in a drop-down transformer for the range hood, and the genset can be configured for 240V output
Cheers from OZ
RV Newbe
460V8 petrol (guzzler?) yet to see... :)

Oz

We've had many Europen owners over the years and I don't recall any saying they needed to do a complete rewire.  However, I'm no expert on this. 

Also, if this HR has been in Austrailia, if it were needed, I would think it would have already been done.  A good question to ask the seller.

So, Here's a thorough explanation of the wiring conversion.  It appears that AMPs is the determining factor.

https://lasmotorhomes.co.uk/case-studies/110-volt-230240-volt-electrical-conversion/
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Mlw

Now as I am not a real electrician either and really REALLY suck at mathematics I tell you how I'm calculating this and never had any melting wires, short circuits or blown appliances.

But me is me and you is you. if you like to follow underneath instructions, you are doing it at your own risk!

I always follow the rules that are applied for professional cables. As I'm from the Netherlands the rules are as follows:

220 volt / 16 amps: Cable no longer than 25 meter: 1.5mm2  till 50 meter: 2.5mm2
As people normally are not going beyond that I think it's a safe rule to apply.

For 12 volt car installations I use the simple formula of amperage divided by 4 with a maximum of 40 amps. When you are going beyond that you're entering the area of power converters, and I think professional advise for this is of the most importance.

Now Amps are indeed the main determination factor for wirethickness because amps state the amount of electricity that will be put on your wiring.

Wattage divided by volt = amps

so lets say you have a airconditioner of 2000 watts.

2000/110 volts = 18,18 amps
2000/220 volts =   9,09 amps

As you will need less amperage with 220 volts you don't have to change the wiring to your AC.

BUT!!!

Your appliances like your AC, Fridge, Microwave, and converter that run on main voltage in your RV are made for 110 volts and therefore will NOT run on 220, they will burn up as soon as you connect them, unless they have a selectorswitch you can put on 220 volts. It should be close to your powercord

If you want to keep the original appliances I think you will be best off with something like this to be absolutely safe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154529962092?hash=item23fab4186c:g:XFUAAOSw5rZhytnD

And another thing to consider:
Do you also have a generator onboard. If so, and you want to use it, it will also be 110 volts and not usable anymore when you change your system to 220Volts

And last but not least:
Do check if your wires are not corroded because they will add a huge amount of resistance (and therefore heat).

Good luck.

john from OZ

OZ, the HR has been in Australia for a long time but still has US sockets fitted..

Mlw, correct with amps calculations, the schematic I have is not showing the ground wiring tho I believe it exists, the Onan generator can be configured for 110 or 240V by changing some bridging links
I had been allowing for the replacement of the A/C and fridge but not considered the possibilities of voltage selection switch, that would be a bonus....
Thank you for the replies, I am still looking at the licencing implications so maybe grounded before I get wheels up, and I don't want to pay $$$ just for a stationary spare bedroom..
Cheers John
RV Newbe

Oz

john from OZ

Well, re the house wiring, for me to obtain an Australian electrican compliance certificate the cabling needs to be upgraded to 2.5mm stranded core cable, where the HR is wired with 2.5mm single strand cable, the science is the copper work hardens over time and can fracture creating a possible arcing/fire hazard, and having 7 stranded cable reduces the possibility of that happening.
So, I still need to see if the wiring can be replaced without ripping all the lining off, my other option is to run new cables in conduit under the HR and drill up from under to enter the wall cavities to the outlets, the only other problem is the house wiring to the roof mounted A/C, might be able to sneak up through a cupboard...
RV Newbe

Mlw

mmm, bureaucratic public servant logic kicking in again. Australia is king in overregulating, I've seen prove of that since the change of the millenium and especially over the last 2 years. It is such a shame. technique has changed an a infra red heat gun can tell you in a minute if your wiring is bad or not. It safes you at least from the need to tear your rv apart.

but single strand cable or not, your cables should be in self regulating cable gutters, so maybe you have a chance there if the wires aren't hardened. You can at least try if you can pull the wires. but you probably will be needing a winch. Tie the new wiring to the old, and use plenty of lubrication to make it easier to pull the new wires in. It will at least safe your from tearing your rv down.

john from OZ

Well, one door closes and another opens, the HR seller continued to stall so missed out on a sale, I now am the proud owner of a 1990 34' Elite motorhome, 460 v8, Tag axle, waiting on delivery... :)clap, it's a bit longer than I was looking for but has only 52,000 miles on it, and meets all Australian requirements :).
More photos to come when it is delivered
Cheers John
RV Newbe

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

Mlw

Well, that's another way to solve your problems. :)

Congratulations  :)clap