"PORT HOLE" unique door window shattered... GROWL

Started by mytoolman, January 28, 2022, 12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mytoolman

This is not my happiest moment....Some cretin attempted a break in. He couldn't pry open the very stout battle ship type hatch door so he smashed the very quaint and unique fun round bowl/bubble shaped 18" Port Hole glass that is in the only door in this 1973 Superior 2200 Coach. He couldn't see in because it is charcoal tinted. The rest of the windows were mostly covered by a very large thick vinyl bill board style tarp that goes over the roof and down the sides to cover the windows.

I have a bunch of the plastic type milk crates lined up end to end on the roof so I could place the tarp over them and have an "upside down *V* shape so water wouldn't sit on the roof. The tarp is tied down so it is taught. The door closes OVER that portion coming over the side so I can open it easily. The taut tarp flexes just enough to let the door close over it if I put some of my weight against the door while locking the dead bolt lock. That pressure from the tautness of the tarp on the dead bolt probably is what kept this turd of a person from actually opening the door. He cut a hole in the tarp behind the glass he broke to look in. i had piled a bunch of bins and junk right in the door way the last time I was inside so he saw he couldn't get in without breaking his neck.  I guess he was thinking he could fit though that 18" hole??? Would someone break a glass just to peek in?

Mr dirt bag also removed the door handle/ latch which I was in the process of installing after I repaired it so it was just sitting in the hole of the door really. It was easy to remove . It is a nice chrome piece so its probably a nice keep sake for him now.

This occurred in the FBSB Navy RV storage lot here in San Diego. According to the Navy Base Policeman who took my report many of the Rigs have been broken into recently. I last went to my Coach at the beginning of December. My wife has been ill and I have been consumed with being a caretaker so no RV or other projects were considered during this time. This cretin committed a federal offence by doing what he did. This is US Government property. I hope we catch him.

Im not sure why but I think this happened within the last few days....there isnt dirt etc on the remaining glass it doesnt matter when anyway....

Questions: 1. Does anyone have a Superior that they can snap a photo of that door glass for me? Its funny, I have a gazillion photos of my rig but none of them detail the port hole window. My mind is also playing games with me regarding it. I believe it isnt a flat glass that fits in there. I seem to think it has a bowl/bubble shape to it....am I right?

2. Recommendations for where to get a new window and door latch for my 49 year old rig? any leads to a good salvage yard? Anyone have an extra Port hole window sitting in their garage they will give me? Lol

Thank you everyone.
d
Also have "Ethyl" 1955 Ford C600 equipped as a rolling tool store(ETTT)."Brutus" 1972 Ford F250 60k original miles. "Panzer" 1976 MBZ 450SL Roadster.

Mlw

I really feel for you man.

But the man probably wasn't glad with you too. "shoot, I smashed the window, and now I still can't see".  :D

Pooppiles broke into three of my cars leaving me with the cost of repairs and them gaining nothing because I never leave valuable stuff in my car and build my radio's in those cars myself and I promise you, you needed to be really good to get them out.

When they ask me we get back to the old punishments, stealing? Off with your hands unless you are really really desperate.

there are some sources on the forum here

https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?page=4

Good luck.

Oz

Door latch.  No such animal made anymore. Only ones to be found are from salvage units and from the very few I've seen, you'd think they were made of gold.  $250 for one!!??  ???

Door glass.  Automotive ship that cuts to order.  Carefully remove what's left and take it with you. You may not be able to do that and still have enough glass left for them to get an accurate diameter, so they would need to use the gasket to make a template.

A good source for a possible replacement seal is Steel Rubber Products.

https://www.steelerubber.com/camper-rv
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

mytoolman

thanks Oz....This glass is splintered and wont be in anything more than a pile of broken chunks and chards. So whomever will have to just use the gasket to make a new one.... Maybe I will remove the two door hinge pins and bring the whole door to them....

Finding a replacement door latch is also going to be a chore...I wonder if there is a complete door some where that I can buy?

Do you have a contact list of Salvage Yards?
Also have "Ethyl" 1955 Ford C600 equipped as a rolling tool store(ETTT)."Brutus" 1972 Ford F250 60k original miles. "Panzer" 1976 MBZ 450SL Roadster.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca