Loose steering

Started by MSN Member, November 15, 2008, 12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 12/9/2002 3:53 PM

I HAVE A 75 BRAVE 21 FOOT IT SEEMS THE STEERING IS LOOSE WHILE RIDING ON THE HIGHWAY IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN TRY TO STOP THIS. I HAVE NEW TIRES,SHOCKS,HIGH BALANCE,ETC...

Sent: 12/9/2002 7:45 PM

if everything seems tight then might you want the steering box rebuilt. check out steer n gear @ 800-253-4327.h

Sent: 12/9/2002 8:53 PM

In order of what I think would commonly be wrong 1. Your steering box is out of adjustment, 2. Your front tires don't "toe-in". 3. Your kingpins need lubrication. 4. You have a bad ball/socket joint at the pitman arm, or the "tie rod" that runs from left to right. There are other possibilities, but they are less likely. How many miles are on it, how long have you had it, and do you do your own repairs? If you do your own work, I have a long list of things to check I could email you. Too long to post here. You might want to look at the older postings too, since this is a common situation. Your winny should be fun and easy to drive. denison

Sent: 12/10/2002 10:25 PM

After you check out the mechanics, J.C.Whitney does have a steering stabilizer available for our old Winnebago's.  I bought one. It was easy to install and I am very happy with the results.

Sent: 12/11/2002 4:55 AM

Ton, I have to tell you, I am pretty new to the whole room thing, but not to Mopar.  Although I absolutely LOVE Mopar, there is a recognized flaw that many Mopar owners will understand.  It is the steering shaft that runs from the base of the console to the actual steering box.  It goes bad after a few thousand miles, and can be relace very easily with in just few minutes time.  I won't tell you how I fixed mine as it might get me kicked out of even a trailer park, but on my Dodge it is a fixed, and steers wonderfully!  If you don't believe me check out the following web site for info....www.borgeson.com.  After all my years with Mopar, you gotta understand one thing...Nothing takes a beating like a lifted Dodge Ram charger off-road machine.  Having said that, read the info on the page.  ..  Matt.  Oh yeah...I own a Winnie, and I put one on mine!  Literally the 1st thing I did!

Sent: 11/5/2007 3:09 PM

hi there,i'm new to the gang.I'm todd with a 1973 brave/440-3 with 56,000 miles on it. the steering was loose when i first got it.since then i have replaced with new parts,the steering box,the bell coupler just north of the steering box,all the shocks[monroe i think] and replaced the 4 rear bias tires with new toyo tires.it had good radials on the front with worn out bias on the rear. the steering is better but......it still wanders.  not a good feeling at 50mph...so how do you adjust the toe-in.i did this 30 years ago on a Studebaker truck.so i need a refresher coarse. it appears that"you the man" any help would be great.thanks ,todd

Sent: 11/5/2007 3:57 PM

Todd,
It's all here, but a bit different than the old Ford / Studebaker procedure... (simpler in fact..
click this link, but try to use the message search, you'll find just about everything you could ever have go wrong already covered (or at least we hope so!)
winnie wanders....
Special thanks to Dave Denison for his insight and documentation on this fix.

Tom

Sent: 11/7/2007 9:35 PM

The BIGGEST fix I have found is to drive the rig like you fly an airplane. Target fixation. Pick out a target 1/4 miles ahead and aim for that.

Sent: 11/7/2007 11:07 PM

Even denison forgot about the most overlooked cause for loose steering...."the loose nut on the steering wheel".  Friends don't let friends drive drunk,   Les

Sent: 11/8/2007 3:26 PM

Phåråoh,
The issue might be the tires. Check to see if your rig was manufactured with BIAS ply tires. On my 69 D22 did have BIAS ply tires and I put radial tires on, felt that feeling also. Put the old split rims with bias ply tires back on and I did not get the loose steering effect anymore.
Radial tires form with the road, gives the vehicle a smooth ride. BIAS ply tires are rigid in which gives a rather rough ride like being in a big truck. That is why when first roll down the road with flat spots for for few miles. You might be experiencing a squirrelly feeling in your steering from your radial tires.
Happy motoring,
Mtnlion

Sent: 11/13/2007 12:48 AM

hi pharaoh, sorry for not getting back sooner. tires could do it.i have too much money into new radial tires(thinking they are better). so i will keep my eyes peeled for a set of bias tires with split rims for cheap. i have seen them for cheap as some folks are fearful of split rims.i know that they can kill if not done right. but like with anything if it is done right and clean it should work well. so thanks again,todd

Sent: 11/13/2007 10:19 PM

Sorry guys, when I re-post a message, I usually type "Original post by:" and enlarge and bold the original poster's user name, in this case:

TOM7292

I forgot to do that with this post.  But, keep the good info coming!

Sent: 12/12/2007 8:39 PM

bearing preload adjustment

I took a big vise grips , the initial goal was to loosen that adjusting plate on top of the gear. That didn't happen so I just pounded on the vgrips and it DID tighten up a tad/bit more that it was.

Anyway that did help some ...

Sent: 1/6/2008 11:58 AM

Edelbrock all the way .600 or 750

Sent: 1/7/2008 7:00 PM

hi there,i have a 1973 21' brave.my steering was almost white knuckle over 50 mph....after new tires,steering box,bell coupler,shocks,steering dampener[shock like thing].i finally adjusted my "toe-in"  bingo.....rides so much better... there is a link around here that explains how to do it.I'm new ,so i don't know where its at...someone will,right?.take care,todd

Sent: 1/7/2008 9:56 PM

toddabney: I will be sending you an email with a .pdf attachment, describing how I adjust the toe-in on my Winnebago - and for that matter, on every antique truck I have ever owned or driven - except Fords.

Sent: 1/7/2008 10:07 PM

denisondc: could you send me a copy of that PDF, as my 72 has loose steering and I think it might be the toe as well. Thanks in advance!

Sent: 1/8/2008 1:15 PM

ibdilberto01: Sent it.

Sent: 1/8/2008 6:36 PM

dension , could you send me a copy also of that pdf  . rusty escott

LauraPenny

I know this is a long shot- but does anyone have the toe in instructions? We have a 1974 D-18 & have replaced pretty much everything we can think of, steering is better but I'm hoping this toe in adjustment will help.