Author Topic: Interior cabinetry attachment ?s  (Read 103 times)

Offline Xbird

• New Poster
  • I own a: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1978
  • Model: Jamboree
  • Chassis: Dodge
  • Engine: 440
Interior cabinetry attachment ?s
« on: January 12, 2022, 01:48 PM »
 Hm?1978 Dodge Jamboree, Fleetwood coach that's getting some TLC. I'm a bit stumped trying to remove some of the cabinets. It almost seems as if they're screwed or staple/nailed from the outside under the thermopanel. I'd like to replace the interior roof panels, which are trapped by the upper cabinets. The layout has a single converting table/bed at the rear on the side and I'm also trying to convert that to an across the back queen size. I really don't want to trash the upper cabinets just prying them off. The lower bed section housing the water tank at the rear also has a vertical panel behind it that likewise seems to have no way to remove. It's there to eliminate  the rearward angle of the body profile and has about 4 inches of space between it and the exterior panels.     Any insights as to just how these are put together and with what fastener type would be helpful. Also re-doing my external lower boards that are all rotted, it seems working from the outside is pretty straightforward. Did the passenger rear lower and the main one behind the bumper a couple years ago, now I'm on the other side

Offline Xbird

• New Poster
Re: Interior cabinetry attachment ?s
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 07:40 PM »
Made some progress and took some pics. narrative goes with, sorry if it isn't order. Couldn't find anything searching here or online that gave me any definite answers. It seems the "framework" of the cabinets, if not the completed cabinets, were installed prior to the exterior panels.

To repair the rear corner that got flattened required pulling the siding. Only means i had at hand was initial hand prying, then working a machete up, splitting the ply. A heat gun is definitely on my "to get" list. don't know if it will soften the glue enough to avoid the machete work. I'll find out when i try and clean the single ply off the siding panel.

Water tank was easy enough to get out, followed by its cabinet (seat/bed base). That one was broken up enough that only a couple wood screws held the frame to the floor. I pried the paneling off the headboard section, which exposed the screws holding the frame for that in place. The top side of it had staples coming in from the rear paneling under the siding.

With that area opened up, i was able to knock the inside metal frame back into position with a deadblow hammer after putting a cut in where it kinked. I have to do a similar cut on the outside metal frame to get that one bent back to match. Those will get welded back together.

Inside the small lower cabinets, some side screws held the sides to the center which has a small fold up table. I took the sections apart and after pulling it forward (insert wood splintering and cracking sounds lol) managed to spot a few wood screws holding the base frames to the floor and wall.  So those came out reasonably intact.

Having just redone my daughters bedroom flooring, i have some nice carpet that will replace disco era orange shag.

Offline yellowrecve

• 7 year member
  • Post Contributor
  • I own a: a Bus Conversion
  • Year: 1974
  • Model: Club Car Dial-A-Bus
  • Chassis: Dodge RM350
  • Engine: 440-3
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 10:50 PM »
That's standard method of building in 1978. Cabinets go inside, then the walls are attached followed by the roof going on. Then the siding and roof metal.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 40 years.

Offline Xbird

• New Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 09:46 AM »
Thank you for confirming my fears and suspicions.  Any tricks to getting the upper cabinets off without completely wrecking them? These would be the set that rings the top of the back section, about a foot tall and maybe 10" deep. It doesn't seem too bad if they're stapled. Screws from the backside on the other hand ..... Aside from removal, my only other option would be to cut the ceiling paneling where it goes under. I've got a crumbly, saggy ceiling panel joint in the center by the vent that I want to take care of.

Offline yellowrecve

• 7 year member
  • Post Contributor
  • I own a: a Bus Conversion
  • Year: 1974
  • Model: Club Car Dial-A-Bus
  • Chassis: Dodge RM350
  • Engine: 440-3
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 10:45 PM »
you could lift (rip out} the inside bottom panel, then split the frame members to free the screws. But that's a big maybe and could create a bigger mess.
You will probably find that the ceiling panel is damaged over a much larger area and may extend into the rafters.
I would start by opening that bad panel to see what you have, and be prepared to remove part of the exterior roof. Rot can turn into a large job. Proceed slow.
40 years experience.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 40 years.

Offline Xbird

• New Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 06:36 PM »

Oh that I know all too well, been in and out of the auto resto biz over the past 40 myself. At some point the previous owner did a full aluminum skin on the roof, only seam on it is all the way up at the cabover peak. I know i have issue on some of the upper wood structure, the upper rear bracket on the awning is lagged into nothingness. I have a ratchet strap to the ladder top holding it for the time being. removed the luggage rack and tv antenna last year and sealed up those along with some edge seam sealing work.