Fuel issues on 1989 super cheif. Cuts out under load

Started by Rodib1, January 12, 2022, 01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodib1

New to the rv world and not a mechanic (playing one)

I bought a 1989 Winnebago super cheif with a 7.4 drove it home  and it ran fine. Did a mini road trip and smelled gas and saw It was leaking at the mechanical fuel pump and pressure regulator and end up limping it home. It would accelerate to about 30 the start cutting out(starving for fuel)  I replaced both of the parts (twice actually) and it still cuts out under load so I figured it might be something else so this is what I did since the.

(1) Changed both parts list above
(2)blew air on two lines running back to tank( heard there could be screen clogged
(3)replaced all visible vacuum lines
(4)alternator
(5) replaced small gas filter in carb
(6) blindly messed with pressure regulator (

Going to try change coil and spark plug and Distributor cap
And a fuel pressure gauge(finding it hard to t in the line)

Heard there might be additional fuel pump located in the tank

Any help, directions or advise would be greatly appreciated

Oz

Yep, you got an in tank pump.  Message search it. Anything and everything about it is already here

You said you replaced the small filter.  What about the main fuel filter?  That's the first thing to replace whenever you have fuel starvation before jumping into anything else.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rodib1

I have searched all over the whole unit and have yet to find a main filter anywhere . Today I changed spark plugs and DISTRIBUTOR and distributor rotor

Rodib1

I followed both lines back. There is a area where it looks like it was cut off . Rubber hose connecting the line back together . Is there anything else I can do besides dropping fuel tank and cleaning carb

Rodib1

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

LJ-TJ

Nothing makes me happer than to see a none mechanic stick with the problem until he gets it figured out. More importantly he throws his pride aside and ASKS the question what am I doing wrong. That's why we're here. The only stupied question around here is the one you don't ask. I'm not a mechanic either. I can't screw a light buld in. But when it comes to my 1975 21ft Winnebago with a 440 in it. I can get the job done. Well done mate. Proud of ya. Glad to see you got it figured out