from a 5th wheel to a motorhome

Started by paypatty, January 31, 2022, 06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paypatty

I have spent the past 13 years living in a 40' Prairie Schooner 5th wheel.  I am now moving from California to Nebraska so I bought a 1986 Winnebago Chieftan that has been pretty well gutted to use as a moving truck...and hopefully to redo into a motorhome again.  I know I have some really odd questions for anyone who has been using motorhomes for any length of time, but I have no information, have given notice that I am moving to the park where I live, and everything is set for me to be on the road by the end of this week.  There is a few problems with this  though.  I have dual wheels on the back and I think the inner one is flat on one side...how to tell?  ok I know it's lame, but I don't know how to tell for sure.  I am making my significant other drive the thing while i follow (or lead) in the old Durango since it seems like it cannot be towed with this motorhome (something about weight ratings not working out right), so now I not only have to load it up and curse a lot about not hiring a moving company, but I think I had better wait until tires are all checked and fixed.  Heck, I don't even know what kind of tires to put on it.  I know I wouldn't want to jack it up to fix a tire on it, especially if it is loaded with my worldly possessions.  It didn't come with a jack anyway.  whew.  So I am trying to figure out what kind of a mess I got myself into and I can't go back and change my mind as I gave my 5th wheel away to someone who needed a home so I am also homeless until I get to Nebraska. P.s.  No, I'm not a youngster...I'm really a senior citizen who should know better.

Oz

Hello and welcome!  With your circumstances and need to travel, you definitely need to have your Chieftain checked out thoroughly before leaving for NE.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca