Jack Up Body and Replace Chassis

Started by LJ-TJ, December 01, 2021, 06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Has any body ever jacked up or cut off the body of a Vintage Winnebago 69-78 and rolled a newer chassis under it? Hm? i??

Mlw

I really think it is not as simple as that unless you have a trailer build on a chassis.

Because I'm looking into the US RV thing long before I got my Betsy I also looked at a lot of video's with all the problems you can find. I've seen video's of people completely opening up the coach and everytime it looks that they start with an empty chassis building the coach on it instead of building a coach and place it on the chassis later.

eXodus

Why? Rust?

Otherwise, a newer Chassis is not necessary different or better.  The P30s had been built from like the 60s to the early 2000s
And after 2003 there is no short chassis available anymore to fit a classic.

Dropping in a new Drivetrain - and new axles on welding that to the old chassis is probably easier if you want to have a better ride.

LJ-TJ

I was thinking it might be less expencive to find an newer diesal better fuel milage with better supension and easier to get parts for. Just lift the body and slide a new truck chassis under it. I got a Kansas 75 21 footer. The frame is spotless. It's just all the running gear and wiring I'd like new.  Hm?

Mlw

Well, you see a lot of engine swaps, and of course drive train swaps like Exodus said.

I've never seen complete chassis swaps.

Plus the fact can you sell it in the future when you want to. I've seen a beautiful Chevy Winnebago in absolutely mind condition and I wanted it.

One thing, the engine was swapped to a 4 cylinder Mercedes diesel engine with a wopping 84 horsepower. Economical yes but hearing that engine "roar" really made my stomach turn  :(.

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao I guess it would roar. I just thought I had seen some were that the factory just lifted the body up and set it down on the frame and then welded it to the frame. Must be mistaken.

Mlw