89 Super Chief Bedroom Window

Started by enigma960080, March 17, 2017, 08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enigma960080

Looking for  replacement Tilt Window (see pic)

About 9" tall X 20" Long  Tempered  and Tinted.

If you have  seen one in your travels  or can source  one,  let me know the specifics please

31' Superchief or Suncruisers maybe the 35's and 40's if the length of the glass is ~20 inches

Winnebago says no longer in production...

2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

TerryH

My opinion - you are going to have a difficult time finding a used one.
You can try Googling 'Hehr RV Glass Replacements', but that is assuming the window was manufactured by Hehr. Winnebago did not manufacture their own. They, as most, purchased from the supplier that gave them the best price at the time.
If you are comfortable working with hand tools you will be able to have one cut and tempered and install it yourself. Actual glass cost will be minimal. Add on costs will be
   Pattern cutting - radius corner
   Fabrication - 4 holes required
   Edge work - ground edges all around
   Tempering - last step, but very necessary
Cost of having your own made will likely be far less than one supplied from the original manufacturer or from a supplier who has access to templates.
If you decide to go it alone let me know and I can guide you through it.
Regardless, keep a few pieces of the broken glass for tint match. There are more than one degree of tint, generally delineated by percentage of light transmission. Also to ensure you get the same glass thickness - from 2mm to 6mm goes up 1mm at a time. Describing it as 1/8, 3/16 or 1/4 incorrectly could cause a problem requiring yet another replacement.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

They are Hehr windows, I have them in mine. So you can add 89 Chieftain to the list of ones that have them. Somewhere I have a pic of the part number label I took when I had them out for resealing. I will try to find it and post it here for you but I think you are going to have to have it made. The big advantage is that you have others that can be used as a pattern.

beaverman

you may try here for the window, it's a facebook page but it has their contact info, https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastRvRecyclingAndSales/

enigma960080

I went to a glass shop, they estimated $120+ depending on exact measurements    I thought of taking the other glass to TAP  plastics and getting 2 opaque plexi or Lexan Polycarbonate pieces cut to shape and thickness. 

Rickf1985

Take note, the right and left are different in that the inner lower corner is different than the outer lower corner. I do not know if you can just turn the piece of glass around and face it the other way. Terry, is there an inside and outside to this glass?

TerryH

Quote from: Rickf1985 on March 18, 2017, 04:30 PM
Take note, the right and left are different in that the inner lower corner is different than the outer lower corner. I do not know if you can just turn the piece of glass around and face it the other way. Terry, is there an inside and outside to this glass?

Only if it has a reflective coating. Often you can tell by dragging your fingernails along the surface of each side. If there is a noticeable difference in the friction it is reflective. Another way is to hold a piece of paper with graphics on it at a 45deg. angle on each side and look for noticeable differences in the reflection.
If it is reflective left and right must be inverted when cutting.
Not required if it is tinted only.
I second Ralph re plastic. I doubt you will be happy with it. If you do chose to go this route I would recommend polycarbonate (Lexan, Margard) over acrylic (Plexi, Lucite).
Albus Dumbledore

enigma960080

I have decided to go with Lexan and the price for getting all 4  done in the bedroom was less than the guestimate for the Glass shops custom fab on the single  Tempered tinted...   Its not like I'm selling this rig  ever...   so I'll be the only one who cares! :-)

TerryH

My suggestion - make a tracing of one of the typical replacements, including the hole sizes and placements. You can do it on paper and add it to your MH binders.
You said you were considering opaque which is a good idea.
Polycarb has far more strength and will be less likely to break than acrylic. Downside to polycarb is that it is far more susceptible to scratching. If you go with opaque and it does scratch - particularly on the exterior - you can take a Scotch Brite to the exterior and scuff the whole exterior. Finished will look like that is what it is.
If this is something you do, do NOT use steel wool. It will leave tiny bits of the wool that you won't be able to remove and they will rust.
Best of luck.
Dollar savings are important.
PS  $120.00 is right in line for replacing with glass.
Albus Dumbledore

Oz

A note on the lexan choice as well.  Clean it only with mild soaps such as dish washing liquids.  Don't use ammonia based cleaners such as Windex.  Lexan has a protective layer and the ammonia based cleaners eat it away, leaving it cloudy, dull and splotchy.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tmsnyder

I had a broken sliding glass window in my RV.  Still had the aluminum side piece with the lip for pushing and pulling the window, and where the lock engages it.   Found it kicking around in the rv while cleaning.  To replace the glass, I ended up ordering one from Peninsula Glass:  www.onedayglass.com

They have an online design tool, you can make it with the appropriate radius on whichever corners you need, it can be tempered, it can be tinted, correct thickness chosen, etc etc etc.   Hit the payment button and the glass shows up on your doorstep in a few days. 

To replace it, the window had to come off the RV.  Then the frame is split open at the seam.  Open up the frame by opening the seam up to allow room for the new glass to fit in.  The new window goes in the channel and the seam is screwed back together.   That was my experience anyway.

It was a heck of a lot cheaper than changing out the whole window.

enigma960080

Ok. I had 4 made from LEXAN, replaced the broken one, so 3 have been sitting on my shelf for the last several years.  Since I no longer have the Super Chief, is there any interest in these 3? 
They can be shipped to your location or local pickup if in Northern California. Message me if interested

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca