Newbie question on 72 24' models

Started by dpel, November 09, 2021, 08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpel

Hi all, apologies for a few newbie questions here...
I purchased what I was told was a 69 Brave to only do digging and believe it is a 72 from the chassis numbers and all the quick learnings I have been ramping up on. 

What I am still a little confused on is if it is a D-24 Indian or a D-24C or C-24CL Chieftian.  It is 24ft, has the rear bathroom, but has been remodelled a bit inside, so I am unsure.  From what I can tell I am guessing it is a D-24 Indian or a D-24C Chieftain.  Any easy ways to determine? 
One thing I read was the height is 10'1" on a Chieftian and 9'5" on a Indian.  Mine is approx 9'2" to the roof, so giving a little for sag of suspension, tyres etc, I am guessing it is a D-24 Indian, but if these measurements are to the top of all vents, etc, then 10'1" might of been a possibility...  Let me know any thoughts or ways to determine please.

In addition - I was told it was built Right Hand Drive from the factory and sent to Australia this way.  Were many done this way?

And last one is I believe it is a 413, but was told by the seller it was a 440 - any simple ways to check?

Thanks in advance!

dpel

It also has the sizzor lift up bed over the drivers area, not a fold up accordian style bed and sizzor style fold down arm rests on both the drivers seat and the double passenger seat. 

My understanding is a 72, as VIN is M49CN2J553554 - M4 being a M400/M375, 9 being motorhome, C being 10,000-14,000lbs, N being 413-1, 2 being 1972 H Series, J being Canadian built. 

Was there a delay on chassis vs motorhome, ie built the chassis in 72 and then put a 73 model on top?  Just thinking aloud...

Oz

Hello and welcome! 
Winnebago made many custom built to order RVs back then.  No idea how many right hand drives were made.style.
You would have an Indian if it's 24'. Chieftains were 27'.  Look at the brochures tab on the main nav bar to see the differences and models for that year.
And yes, many Winnebago chassis made in one year had the body built on late in the same year, but was the following year body style.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

dpel

Quote from: Oz on November 11, 2021, 01:42 AM
Hello and welcome! 
Winnebago made many custom built to order RVs back then.  No idea how many right hand drives were made.style.
You would have an Indian if it's 24'. Chieftains were 27'.  Look at the brochures tab on the main nav bar to see the differences and models for that year.
And yes, many Winnebago chassis made in one year had the body built on late in the same year, but was the following year body style.
Thanks Oz for replying!  From the brochures it appears Chieftains and Indians were in 24', hence my confusion trying to determine the difference...

LJ-TJ

DPEL  :)ThmbUp Just wanted to say welcome aboard. Boy did you come to the right place. As has been said many times before. " the only dumb question here is the one you don't ask."

skloon

There should be an ID pad on the front of the block just in front of the valley- would be stamped 440 413 383 etc

Oz

As with just about all Winnebago models of the early-mid 70s, there are exceptions to every model rule.  Yes, I know in '74 they made 24' Chieftains.  I've never seen or heard of one though in almost 20 years of doing this.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca