1979 Winnebago Minnie Winnie W24RH named "Betsy"

Started by Mlw, November 08, 2021, 12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockwoodMike

I think the first step for the machine shop is to hot tank it to get it super clean..And then magnaflux it to find any cracks..

Are there plenty of wrecking yards over there?..When I saw that cracked bolt hole, not sure about the whole block not having other crack concerns..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Mlw

Yes, that is exactly what I want them to do.

And yes, the fact that the last headbolt gave way without any resistance (i just could keep wrenching thinking "I should have heard the click of my torque wrench already" is exactly the reason why I want the block investigated for more cracks.

If you see the damage in the cylinders after the engine blew a rod it seems that it all happened very rapidly, as the cylinder of the blown rod didn't have much damage but I just can't shake the feeling it overheated severely as well. Why else should a headbolt that was fine in the beginning give way without any resistance.

RockwoodMike

How much effort have you done to find a running or core engine for this..The way you are describing it's past events, it may be ready for the scrap pile..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Mlw

I've talked to 4 different companies her in the Netherlands who claimed to have American engines in stock.
Ford: Yes, Chevy: yes, Dodge: only 318's They also all claimed that when they don't have an engine in stock they have possibilities to import from the USA. However all suspended this option due to the enormous rise in costs to import an engine since the start of the corona-hoax. Figures of  $20.000.00 were mentioned.

360's and 440's are just not to be found in Europe. I found somebody who scrapped a Winnebago class A with a 440 in it. The engine was sold within half an hour after the advertisement was placed.

Mlw

Now I also need some parts.

As shown before I painted all the headlight structures.
I need the plastic parts to keep the headlight cups 3 of them are ok but the fourth was broken and the plastic of all of them seem brittle with age. (see picture 2)

I also seem to have misplaced two of the four springs to adjust the light pattern. I had sanded and painted them because they were pretty rusted up, and now I can't find them anymore 😣😣 (see picture 1)

I'll be much obliged when somebody has an internet link to the parts. Maybe summit has them, but their website is not particularly strong at searching for specific parts.

Now a few tips for everybody who remove the headlights.
First place the bracket on the chassis. If you don't you can't reach the bolts with a socket wrench anymore and you'll have to work with a wrench.

Then you screw the holders onto the brackets. The screws have two lips. (sorry forget to make a picture, but will make it later) In between these lips you place the Holders/cups.

You then screw the holders in the plastic keepers.

and on the right bottom side you place the spring.

If everything is placed right, you can adjust the light pattern later.

Then you place the headlights in the cups. Make sure all 4 edges on every corner of the headlight are placed correctly in the notches on every corner of the cup. Then you can place the headlight in the holder by putting the chrome holder over the headlight and then screw everything in place with the 4 screws.

RockwoodMike

Mlw

Thanks man.

Now I know the name of these things I can find them on summit as wel 😂😁

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Mlw on November 08, 2023, 09:01 PMFord: Yes,

Have you ever considered using a different engine if the 360 is dead..A Ford 460 with the C6 trans is a beautiful engine to consider..

But everything would need to be changed..Engine mounts custom fabricated, drive shaft modified..Engine swaps are done all the time....

Now my Dodge has a 440 in it with the 727 trans..I have the possibility of swapping that out with a 460 and I am seriously considering it..

If other engines are available, it may be your only option if that 360 is gone 

RockwoodMike

The Ford 351 is a very common engine..Bolt that to a C6 tranny

LJ-TJ

Hey Rockwood I like the idea of changing up the engine. However I have a 460 in my pickup truck and the best mileage I can get is 5 miles to the gallon. Might be a consideration. Just saying?

RockwoodMike

I put a 460 in my 71 Ford truck..Original was the 390 that came with the camper special package..I get about 8..It all depends on the condition of the engine..Plugged up exhaust, out of tune and an excessive amount of lead in the heel of the drivers foot can cause crazy fuel mileage..

The Ford 351 is a very common engine..F150 and F250 trucks used them..

MLW's Dodge 360 is a mess..Finding a donor Ford truck and fitting it in might be the only option he has..With the C-6 trans, he would have a very strong drive train..

kenwautoone

You might look in " sports car junkyard"; Jensen Healey's and Monteverdes all came with 440s in them.Those would be early to middle 1970d

Eyez Open

Quote from: RockwoodMike on November 08, 2023, 11:43 PM
Quote from: Mlw on November 08, 2023, 09:01 PMFord: Yes,

Have you ever considered using a different engine if the 360 is dead..A Ford 460 with the C6 trans is a beautiful engine to consider..

But everything would need to be changed..Engine mounts custom fabricated, drive shaft modified..Engine swaps are done all the time....

Now my Dodge has a 440 in it with the 727 trans..I have the possibility of swapping that out with a 460 and I am seriously considering it..

If other engines are available, it may be your only option if that 360 is gone 

Engine's can be a very personal kind of thing. With being said a 440 Chrysler is a tough act to follow under 4000 rpm. Frankly they can't be beat I believe.

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Mlw on November 08, 2023, 09:01 PM360's and 440's are just not to be found in Europe. I found somebody who scrapped a Winnebago class A with a 440 in it. The engine was sold within half an hour after the advertisement was placed.

MLW can't get a 360 or a 440 over in Europe..This is his quote from earlier in the thread (#28)..

Mlw

Hmmm my last post didn't came thru I see.

QuoteYou might look in " sports car junkyard"; Jensen Healey's and Monteverdes all came with 440s in them.Those would be early to middle 1970d

As far as I understand standard "car" 440's can't be build in a motorhome with a GVWR of 11500lbs. I need the Motorhome/industrial version.

We just have to wait what the results will be when the block is magnafluxed/tested. When the block can't be saved I guess I have a trip to the USA coming up for a scrapyard hunt.

Elandan2

I disagree about using a "car" 440. I put a 440 out of a 1973 Chrysler Newport in the motorhome. Our Elandan II is on an M 500 chassis with a 14,500 GVW. It has been in there for 80,000 miles trouble free. the only difference between a car engine and a motorhome engine is the cooling passages in the heads. With a good radiator and stellite valve seats you will have no problems.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

kenwautoone

Sorry,on European cars with 440s, correction,not Jensen Healey meant Jensen Interceptor

Eyez Open

Living abroad and repairing US engine's there is quite a thing. What we take for granted in the US is quite remarkable. The Guys in the EU face huge hurdles. Years ago I tried to assist a few times with boats..what a cluster bomb that can be.

Parts houses and mechanics are crazy in there approaches...sometimes successfully.

MLW can you post your casting numbers on your block and build date codes. From what I've seen so far from that block it's been badly overheated...probably severe core shift has also occurred.

Mlw

For car enthusiasts the USA is a fantastic country. You are absolutely right in not taking things for granted,

I understand the tips of building in another engine but that will of course bring a whole lot of other chalenges and costly expenses. Then I'm probably cheaper off finding another shortblock in the USA. Last week I got a telephonenumber of someone who travels to the USA 3 times a year AND is a mechanic who understands American engines. Let's just hope it's going to pay off, whatever the direction is going to be.

All the numbers of the engine:

Quote from: kenwautoone on November 16, 2023, 11:29 AMSorry,on European cars with 440s, correction,not Jensen Healey meant Jensen Interceptor

I already thought so. I love these cars and it's another dream of mine to own one.
They are worth BIG BUCKS here.

https://www.gaspedaal.nl/jensen?srt=df-a#o97637349

Mlw

Well, Betsy decided to give me some good news again to "keep me enthousiastic" as Rockwood Mike already advised me. ;)

We had a few nice dry days so the parking-spot of Betsy was dry so I decided to check what the state of my differential was after I saw all the work Mike had to do on his...

Quote from: RockwoodMike on August 14, 2023, 11:49 AM
Quote from: Mlw on August 14, 2023, 08:21 AMPffffff, to be quite honest, you are scaring the bejeebers out of me.

I know you have an older RV then me, but how many miles did this thing run? Is there any story to how this has happened?

At least the first owner had the complete bottom of the RV protected with tectyle, including the axle. Hence the reason I couldn't read the markings on the differential anymore. it's completely dry and even the drainplug is covered in Tectyle. Let's just hope it was enough to keep the gear oil in. Normally that's for life?

Do yourself a favor and pull the fill plug out, located in the middle of the cover. The plug should have a strong magnet made into it..If it is covered in gray metallic fuzz..start to sweat!!
Stick a finger in the hole to see if there is any oil in there..

Ideally, there should be little fuzz on the magnet and oil dripping out the hole when you take the plug out..
You loose oil all the time..Little bit of seepage out the front yoke..At the wheel bearing hub seals and just evaporation..

Mine was starved for oil..the bearings loose their surface hardness due to a lack of lubrication..Now the top surface of the bearing is gone..Creating a little bit of play in the bearings..

Things start to slap around inside there and the slow destruction is in progress..

If you find a bunch of fuzz on the magnet, the best you can do is a good drain and fill..Pull the cover off and clean it all out a best as you can.
If you ignore it all, then make sure your auto insurance covers towing.

My odometer reads 15000 miles..It is a 5 digit odometer..So is it 115000 or 215000? 

Looking at the differential you can see it was sweating somewhat so I was preparing myself.

The plug was really stuck and I needed to give a few firm taps with a hammer but Eureka, the plug came loose. The plug was dry as a bone but was not covered in gray metallic fuzz  :)ThmbUp.

But eureka, sticking my finger in the hole:

However if you look inside the hole, I'm going to take the advise of Rockwood Mike and at least clean it, but finding the oil in there at least took away my worries (for now).

Mlw

And Betsy wasn't done and had yet another suprise for me. My neighbour in the next parkingspot was moved so I finally had some time to check my awning and:

I went home a happy camper that day   :)clap  :)clap  :)clap

RockwoodMike

I am glad that there was oil in it..But in your restoration list please add a cover removal and then a good clean out..From what I understand, a complete drain should be done about every 30,000 miles or so..

I think in kilometers that is 50,000..

Even with a good level of oil, it wears down and that makes grit in the oil..There is no filter to capture that grit, and it circulates through out everything..creating more grit..

So it is great that the oil level was high..Just when was the last time it was changed?

Eyez Open

Don't forget the rear pinion seal, it's old very old. Rumor has it they fail only after there first prolonged drive.

Mlw

Yes, as soon as Betsy moves again, I'll overhaul the complete transmission. As I've opened up a lot of outboard tails at the yacht broker, I know how this oil should smell and it brought back memories and had good color. That's the whole problem with this project. Or things are very good, or they are very bad.

at least i didn't need to sweat 😉

QuoteIf it is covered in gray metallic fuzz..start to sweat!!

Like I said before Betsy had the luck to have the original owner who took good care of it, this is shown by the fact that Betsy had a German anti corrosion treatment in times that "Deutsche Pünktlichkeit" truly was unbeatable and everything that falls under German TÜV inspection which even boneheads like the previous idiot had to follow if they want to drive around on the German highways without getting pulled over. I often wonder what he paid for Betsy when he bought it. 

Germany is a very strict country! For example, I love to watch Vice Grip Garage because I learn a lot from him, but his channel would never survive in Germany. It is impossible to drive several provinces of Germany in cars like he does and not been pulled over by "die Polizei" 😂😂😂

Eyez Open

Watching you push thru your renovation brings back many memories. In the 90s I used to ship cars to the EU. The EU lives in a far different world, one can only imagine a US citizen taking there car to a safety inspection and leaving with big fines...LMAO it would be hilarious.

I've taken some time looking around for a old 360 block, it's futile. Mopar was never a thing in Oregon, what's avaible is locked up junk blocks...I actually laughed at one guy trying to shine on his attempt to dump a 360...not a good thing to dump on somebody's perception..