Need 1972 M375 Shackle Bushings

Started by dpel, November 07, 2021, 08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpel

Hi all,
New to the forum and with a newly acquired 72 Brave (in Australia!).
Drinking from a fire hose and trying to learn as much as I can as I go getting this on the road and unfortunately with no parts available in Australia and what appears to be limited reproduction parts in the US Iḿ seeking some guidance please. 
Iḿ trying to find shackle bushings for a M375 chassis and had no luck so far - any recommendations?
Thanks all, Darren.

Oz

Hello and welcome!  I know from other Aussie members that getting parts can be a real challenge.  I never needed those bushings so I'm sorry I can't help.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

skloon

I would think most any spring shop could make some up-

dpel

dpel

Quote from: skloon on November 08, 2021, 04:57 PM
I would think most any spring shop could make some up-
Thanks skloon, that is my next plan, was hoping might be able to just order from somewhere...

Oz

I don't believe the bushings were a custom size.  Most likely the same as the heavy duty truck model.  You could try calling Wnnebago for info on that. Plus, we do have the parts manual in the club store for reference.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Eyez Open

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-p4452987?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAiAm7OMBhAQEiwArvGi3D5Tw2S4HBGJmLFEl4zjXOHbx6nI19E1S29PPkGs_Q04okhG__7TBBoCfqsQAvD_BwE

https://www.google.com/search?q=M375+chassis+shackel+bushings&rlz=1C1RXQR_enUS969US969&oq=M375+chassis+shackel+bushings&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i10i299.17350j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&shem=ssmd

From a post out there...

Chassis: 1969 Dodge M300, although I have reason to believe the same or similar parts were used on Dodge trucks from early '60s through mid-80s. (Which, for some perverse reason, means parts are harder to find than a whitetail deer three days into hunting season.)

BTW: If the local parts store doesn't have a listing for M300, see if they have a listing for P300 ... they were virtually identical, with the P300 being the chassis used for delivery trucks. (Personally, I think Dodge came up with the M300 designation because people had trouble believing their expensive motorhome was built on the same chassis as Larry's Laundry truck.)

Front springs: OEM part number 2907 937. 1700 lbs capacity, 7 leaf. (may be listed as 6+1 leaf). Spring Research Institute (SRI) number 34-676. 2-1/2" wide, 1" eyes, front and back.

Note: SRI numbers are used by many spring manufacturers ... if the number starts with a 34- it's probably a SRI number. (34- is the SRI prefix for Dodge truck springs.) SRI is a database of the specifications for hundreds (thousands?) of springs ... SRI members can use the info in the database to scratch-build new springs.

Front spring bushing: OEM part number 1920 540. 2-1/2" wide rubber bushing with inner and outer steel sleeves. Outside diameter is 1", inside diameter is 1/2" ... used a 1/2" dry bolt for mounting the spring. (Bolt usually knurled under head to prevent bolt from turning in the shackle/bracket.)

NAPA (and other places) have listings for replacement bushings and probably have them in stock ... but don't bother. An alternative is both cheaper and better ... Energy Suspension part number 5.2102. $20.00 for a complete front spring set (for all four eyes) of polyurethane bushngs. (NAPA's OEM replacements were over $40.00.) Also, the Energy Suspension bushings are much, much easier to install.

Front shackle repair is an issue I'm still working on and will report when I have confirmed details.

Many people recommend melting/burning the rubber out of the OEM bushings to remove them. Personally, I don't like (really, really don't like) using heat anywhere near the springs ... too much chance of ruining the springs.

Step 1 - use a 1/8" drill (or anything else you can come up with) to remove as much rubber as possible. (The more you remove, the easier the rest of the process will be.)

Step 2 - drop a cheap 1/2" bolt into the inner sleeve and use a hammer to drive out the inner sleeve. (Air hammer is best, 4 pound hammer will work ... use a short chunk of #4 rebar as a drift pin if you need to.)

Step 3 - soak the outer sleeve and spring eye with PB Blaster ... it may take multiple soakings over several days or a week to loosen the outer sleeve.

Step 4 - drive the outer sleeve out of the spring eye using whatever works ... I used cold chisels and rebar driftpins to cut up and drive out the sleeves ... just be careful to avoid damaging the spring eye.

Enough for tonight ... rear springs next time I'm online.