Can you help identify this part

Started by Daenrico41, November 06, 2021, 07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daenrico41

I'm in the electrical checklist and I've find this part all rusted .
Can you tell me what is this ?
1975 winnebago brave with a 440-3

AOBrodie

Daenrico41

AOBrodie

Not sure what you are asking. It is a delay module, as in time delay. It delays the operation of the vacuum solenoid shown on your diagram. That solenoid controls vacuum to a device. Perhaps the EGR valve.

Daenrico41

Mlw

Yep, asked the same question a few weeks ago.  :) It is officially a speed switch emission 3874129

Still what it does seems a complete mystery. Can you just unplug it or will you have reliability or performance problems afterwards. As it is old technology there still is a chance you'll be fine as with modern engines it just won't work anymore.

Looking at the state of your speed switch emission you seem to have the same problems with moisture as I do. https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=16254.0

Here's my speed switch emission.

AOBrodie

It is a timer/switch. They are used in two places that I know of. One is to delay the action of the EGR valve under certain conditions. Another is to delay the vacuum signal to the vacuum advance on the distributor under certain circumstances. There are several different colored ones, corresponding to the number of seconds of delay.

Mlw

Ok that's the answer I was looking for. Thanks. I definitely know now that it was the former owner connecting it to the oil level sensor.

That's probably why mine is black on the bottom and my oil level sensor is blown.

So leave this out only would mean that your vacuum solenoid isn't activated anymore as i read the wiring diagram correctly?

https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;ts=1636244499;topic=16302.0;attach=14749;image

If you have to order another one it's $50,= for a used one. But as Betsy is now over 40 years old it is cleared from emission rules here in Europe. Then I don't have to bother order a new one or let someone test and fix the one i got.