Replacing steering/suspension components

Started by Winningbago, November 03, 2021, 06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winningbago

Well... I have the 1984 still, but purchased a 1985 Chieftain 22' (and definitely overpaid)

The body and interior are in great shape, however THIS is the rig that I want to put effort and money into... I unfortunately put several thousand dollars into the 1984 but I hate the flat roof (1985 is crowned), and the look of the 1984 vs the 1985.

Finding parts is relatively easy, but I'm not pleased that SuperSteer owns the patent on the bell cranks and associated connecting arms... they're all very expensive.

My plan is to buy:
new bell cranks (~$285/each)
new idler arm/pitman arm (~$230-$260 each)
new center/drag link ($250)
new tie rods/connecting tube (~$100?)
Hellwig front sway bar (~$500, the stock one is 1 1/4", new one is 1 5/8")

I know it's very expensive, but safety and steering control is of utmost concern to me... In addition to those things I'm going to get, I've already purchased:
(4) Bilstein shocks ($397.23 total)
new steering damper
new front brake calipers
new front rotors
new brake pads
new brake hoses
new timken bearings/dustcap
new ZZ4 distributor

(I purchased new master cylinder and rebuilt hydroboost and installed those on the 1984, so I'll have to get those again too)

Please chime in if I'm missing something. There will be more items needed but right now I'm focusing on the steering/suspension aspect and only buying the highest quality parts I can find.

skloon

I would check Rockauto for some of the parts- you can select name brand ones and sometimes the prices are really good

Eyez Open

The below link should prove to be quite useful, he covered/uncovered a lot of ground. Actually it is my perception it should be sticky material.

https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=15398.0

Winningbago

Quote from: skloon on November 03, 2021, 01:17 PM
I would check Rockauto for some of the parts- you can select name brand ones and sometimes the prices are really good

Thank you, yes I'm very familiar with RockAuto and other online car parts sellers. I always price check many sources before purchase

Winningbago

Thank you Eyez Open! I haven't seen that thread before and I've read hundreds on this site! I've rebuilt the carb, and on the '84 replaced the hydroboost and master cylinder (hydroboost sucks to replace)

Removing the radiator scares me, as I have the threaded oil cooler and trans cooler built into it... I damaged some threads last time I messed around with the 84's brake lines so I'm wary to touch ones I don't have to at the moment

eXodus

Quote from: Winningbago on November 03, 2021, 06:05 AM
Well... I have the 1984 still, but purchased a 1985 Chieftain 22' (and definitely overpaid)

Please chime in if I'm missing something. There will be more items needed but right now I'm focusing on the steering/suspension aspect and only buying the highest quality parts I can find.

Be sure to check the suspension joints. Upper and lower A-Arms  Ball joints etc.

In the rear check the bushings of the leave springs.   The steering will still feel loose when the suspension is worn out.

Further when you are going to spend that much money on the steering setup - have you considered switching to a rack and pinion?
Some Truck shops which do lifts for pickups have started those conversions.  (the short P30 is practically a Chevy Dually Pickup)

Winningbago

Thanks eXodus, that is an interesting idea but I imagine that would cost a ton of money and need custom fabricating... While the older P30 suspension is nothing to write home about, it's tried and true and was used for a couple decades, so parts and ease of learnability is there... I know replacing all the suspension stuff will be expensive but I doubt it would be over $2000 since I'd be doing all the labor myself (minus alignment)

eXodus

An Aftermarket retrofit Rack and Pinion is about $1000
https://www.brotherstrucks.com/1963-87-CHEVY_GMC-RACK-PINION-POWER-STEERING-CONVERSION/productinfo/PSRP087/

+ fabrication, you are correct. The main thing is routing the steering shaft down.

My 24ft p30 is still riding pretty good, but at 68k miles I'm starting to look for what I'm going to do when the steering wears out.   It's not like that rack and pinion is a new invention.   
When the classic Truck people are switching - (those things are expensive - so you don't want to crash them)   I think the conversions are ripe.