New Owner/Member

Started by NotLaw, October 17, 2021, 07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotLaw

Hello everyone,

I joined about a month ago, but just this past weekend I finally was able to close the deal and buy my '75 Brave D21.

I've wanted a vintage Winnie to use for both camping, and as a tow rig for a while.
In fact, I've been looking for over a year.

This one came up near Denver almost a month ago now, and I went to see it almost immediately. I loved it, but there were some carb issues that needed sorting.
Those were handled, and I officially bought it last Friday

The 440-3 was recently rebuilt, and more than just being rebuilt, it was also stroked out to 500 inches!

The interior has also already had lots of work done, and just needs upholstery to be good enough for me.
Most of the original interior equipment all works too; Stove, fridge, heater, water system, it's used, and shows some age, but all functioning.
PO even did a bunch of roof work, so I would be good to go there too, at least for now.

I had to drive it the 560+ miles back from Evergreen to my place in southern Utah, and surprisingly, it actually drove quite well.

There's a bit of wander of course, especially from the wind of passing trucks; and the shocks are shot; but the steering is at least as tight as my '84 Chevy K5, and much tighter than my '67 Ford Fairlane was when I bought that in '08.

Even all but one of the clearance lights work.

She boogies pretty good, but with 3000 rpm being just 55 mph, some upgrades are in order to make it safer to drive on the 80 mph interstates of the west.
I need to be able to at least pace the Walmart trucks at 65, so that I'm at least not impeding traffic any worse then they are  :D

Oz

Awesome! Congratulations!
:)clap
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Elandan2

Nice looking rig. Welcome.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Daenrico41

Nice and clean rig !
can i ask how much you have paid for ?

AOBrodie

Neat! What was your mpg on that trip?

NotLaw

Thanks everyone.

I got what I think was a quite a decent deal, as the seller was asking 6k, and I talked him down $500. The engine alone is probably worth what I paid.

As far as fuel economy, it was about 7 going up over Eisenhower tunnel, but peak was around 9. Trip average was just under 8.
Better than I was expecting really, but keeping the speed down certainly helped, and it was a very calm day wind-wise.
Also, the 9 mpg run was from Eagle through to Green River, which is mostly downhill.

I doubt I'll be seeing 9 very often :D

Oz

Yep, your mileage is in the good zone of where it should be. A steal at $500.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

NotLaw

Ha! It does read like that doesn't it. I meant that I talked him down 500 from asking, so 5500 out the door.

skloon

You can adapt a Dodge 518 transmission or use a Gear Vendors overdrive unit- it will be pricy either way