Do i have a hot water bypass?

Started by JonnyG, October 05, 2021, 12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyG

Can anyone tell me where i would find a hot water tank bypass and if my Warrior even came with one? Still learning about winterization, its all pretty buried in there i dont see anything or know what it might look like. I just found the hot and cold drain valves at by the pump which I think is a good thing? Id really rather not fill up the hot water tank with antifreeze if i can help it. Any ideas?

c farmer

Why fill with antifreeze?  I blow mine out with air.  I didnt want antifreeze in any waterline that I might drink from.

JonnyG

This is my first time winterizing an RV and assumed that's what I had to do. I already didn't trust how clean the water tank is so we drink bottled water, it's also not a big tank.

I bought the air attachment but heard a weird noise when I plugged it in, have yet to use the city inlet for anything else. Almost sounded like it was coming out the black holding tank but can't be sure, maybe there is a valve for flushing that I am unaware of?

Are there any dangers or negatives I should be aware of using antifreeze? Smells horrible 

Oz

I've never used anti-freeze.  A lot of people don't.  I just emptied the entire system every year and flushed it a few times before use.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

yellowrecve

If you connected an air adapter to the city water inlet, there is a good chance you will get a funny sound caused by the air passing through the check valve in the inlet.
Like blowing out with your mouth closed and your tongue sticking through your lips.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.

skloon

You should have one but the tank may have been changed-I blow out the lines and then put in anti freeze- I'm in northern Alberta and the $10 is cheap insurance- oddly this year my shutoff didn't work for some reason, I pulled the valve and it wasn't jammed but I was getting water into my tank after bypassing it

Oz

Quote from: yellowrecve on October 13, 2021, 10:47 PM
Like blowing out with your mouth closed and your tongue sticking through your lips.

Since you said it, I just had to do that, you know....    :D

JonnyG

Thats a good way to describe it, that is the sound i heard for sure. glad i asked about it now

I am in central Alberta so same deep freezing concerns over here as well, used about the same amount and seemed like cheap insurance as well.

To answer my question though yes i do have one and it was located below my stove, didnt realize there was also stuff on the back of hot water tank. popped the bottom of the cabinet out and there it was, was able to complete the winterization without putting any antifreeze in the hot water tank. some "smart guy" removed my water tank drain and plugged it on the tank but not the hold in the floor leaving the perfect little hole for a mouse to get in! fixed that up real quick, some people sure dont think...one more task for the spring

Oz

Worst part of used RV ownership:  finding out the hacks previous owners made...

D:oH!

skloon

Quote from: Oz on October 18, 2021, 11:33 PM
Worst part of used RV ownership:  finding out the hacks previous owners made...

DPO the dreaded previous owner, lucky mine only has one weird hack, they installed a second water tank that you can fill but it doesn't connect to the rest of the water system

D:oH!