Weak power steering

Started by JonnyG, October 02, 2021, 02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyG

How powerful should the power steering be on a 94 P30? while im driving its alright but it does near nothing while sitting still, worried about pushing it too far. Is this normal or do I have a bigger issue? reservoir is full and a quick inspection shows no leaks. Any common problems? a search didn't come up with much

eXodus

Try steering while in park without pressing the brake vs pressing the brake in Drive

Then rev the engine up while parked and try steering.

Two possible causes:
- internal leaking Hydroboost (test 1)
- weak steering pump - (identified through test two)

There are two-three different Power steering pumps for the 454 - the Heavy duty RV Hydroboost high pressure pump and the regular GM Pickup Pump. 
When the pump dies after X years, many swap in the wrong type (looks identical outside)  which works - but only barely.

When both tests are outcomes are that without braking and increase engine rev the steering gets better - it's most likely the pump (cheap)
If only a change is during test one - Hydroboost Unit (pricey)   

and RV is still a heavy brick and the front steering setup is not known for it's performance. It will never be as easy as a pickup. Have you greased all Zerks yet? Getting all the old grease out of there sometimes makes a difference.

JonnyG

Grease is a good thought, i noticed wet spots in a lot of places leading me to believe greasing had been done recently but maybe not(was told the whole chassis was lubed in the last year). Any problems with pressure washing that whole area to expose the zerks? they are all covered in black right now. any grease recommendations?

You may be onto something with the wrong pump, it just feels really weak and groans. in park it feels like full on manual steering

Will retest today as i forgot to rev up while doing the tests yesterday.

eXodus

get massive grease buildup whipped down with a rag first.

Because when you start pressure washing - that grease goes somewhere :P  It's either making a mess out of your driveway or clings to other parts.
- keep the water away from rubber boots the joints and the Oilpan gasket.

Sometimes a spray on degreaser (for BBQ or Ovens) works good on suspension parts too.

Grease for the sake of standardization I stick to a Multi-Vehicle High Temperature Grease. Like Valvoline or Lucas.
That stuff I can use on all of my fleet, Zerks, couplers or Wheel bearings.

I don't think on those old RV it matters what kind of grease you use, as long as you get regular grease in there - that serves two functions - first one obvious lubricate the joint-  but second - flush out dirt.

Eyez Open

I don't think on those old RV it matters what kind of grease you use, as long as you get regular grease in there - that serves two functions - first one obvious lubricate the joint-  but second - flush out dirt.
[/quote]

Yes flushing out the old dirt crud is not easy, most hand-pumped grease guns cannot achieve the pressure needed. And those that do it takes three hands, one for the pump handle one for the hose, and one to hold the damm thing still. I believe I ran thru a tube lubing my front end.

eXodus

Lifting the RV of the ground helps to get grease in there.  When the front is sitting on it's wheels I agree - the hand pump grease guns have a hard time.
But when you got it dangling in the air - I didn't have a problem getting it lubed.

JonnyG

Regarding those tests:
  steering in park while pressing on the brake is less powerful than not. isnt this normal?
  revving up the engine seems to have no effect on

Just got my hands back on the RV yesterday, cant park it at home some have to work on it here and there. Took it to a truck wash and was able to spray some low pressure engine cleaner around there. gonna go wipe everything down today and attempt to get some fresh grease in those zerks, this is going to me such a messy job. there is nasty dirty grease everywhere

a 6000psi pistol grip grease gun should do the trick? or do you guys prefer something else?

Eyez Open

6000 psi?...saftey glasses.. W%

eXodus

Quote from: JonnyG on October 07, 2021, 12:08 PM
Regarding those tests:
  steering in park while pressing on the brake is less powerful than not. isnt this normal?
  revving up the engine seems to have no effect on

a 6000psi pistol grip grease gun should do the trick? or do you guys prefer something else?

Don't press the brake while in Park.  How does it steer while idling around in park?
While you are in park and not press the brake - you revv up the engine to like 2000-3000rpm and steer.   Does the effort changes?
As soon as you hit the brake - the front wheel lock and it's hard to steer anyhow to feel the differences.

When the hydroboost is broken and you only tap the brakes slightly you will loose some of the steering while in park.

When the pump is weak - or the wrong one - the steering effort will change will RPM.  If that stays constant - your pump is probably fine and putting out enough pressure at idle.

If nothing happens at either test - (yes it will get a bit harder to steer when you are on the brakes - that's normal) you can look at the steering box and alignment.  Like I said before -it's an old P30 - the steering setup was never great.

I got a pistol grip grease gun.  Maybe 5000 PSI.  works great.  Get one with a long enough hose.  18-24 inches.

JonnyG

Lubing up the front end actually helped a bit! I clearly need to rethink what i thought i knew, all the "wet spots" dont mean anything more than thats an area that was once greased. what a mess to clean up but worthwhile, who wouida thought?

Nothing happens for either test, good tip on the longer hose. the 12" one that comes with it really isnt useful for half of the zerks is it, 24" really would have been ideal. I was comparing this to a fairly modern F150 electric power steering, hardly comparable when you think about it. I really need to manage my expectations here I guess

eXodus

the amount of parts and linkages on the P30 steering is just mind boggling.
I don't remember but there a like 18 zerks to grease? 
Every of those joints has some drag and also some inaccuracy and play.

You know how many joints the steering of my RAM pickup has?  2 on each side - inner and outer tie-rod end.  4 Total.
Rack and Pinion is just a so much simpler and better system. But wasn't available when the P30 was designed in the 60s.

Oz

I guess you should buy controlling stock in a grease company!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

eXodus

Quote from: Oz on October 15, 2021, 07:13 PM
I guess you should buy controlling stock in a grease company!

Yeah no :P most modern trucks have lot less joints. And many of them are lifetime fills.

The lifetime of those is not as long as that of well maintained grease-able joint. But apparently most people don't maintain them - so the statistical life of a sealed component is longer.

Eyez Open

Quote from: JonnyG on October 02, 2021, 02:10 PM
How powerful should the power steering be on a 94 P30? while im driving its alright but it does near nothing while sitting still, worried about pushing it too far. Is this normal or do I have a bigger issue? reservoir is full and a quick inspection shows no leaks. Any common problems? a search didn't come up with much

https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,9126.0.html