ME3112 charger/inverter not running off of battery power

Started by JonnyG, September 27, 2021, 02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonnyG

I just got a 94 Warrior a little while ago and trying to figure out how the electrical system works in this thing. I did some reading on the unit it and it seems to be both a charger and an inverter, as soon as shore or gen power is turned off the power from the inverter display is lost and there is no response from either the panel or the inverter. Are there multiple panels or a transfer switch in these units? There is some masking tape on the unit with an RMA number, im worried the previous owner had some problems with it. might have just not taken it off after reinstalling though.

Is this normal operation? If understand right the inverter acts as an automatic transfer switch between power sources? One thing that i didnt quite understand is that while plugged in it shows ~13-14V usually but always a 0A draw. Any help would be greatly appreciated

JonnyG

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with this pic? other than the removed ground cable that goes to the inverter of course.

The previous owner had it apart and hooked the inverter up to the wrong terminal, read 6V at the inverter lug. Didnt make sense, went through the cabling and realized + was in the wrong spot. they both need to be connected to the +/- in the bottom middle for 12V. Seems like it might be a classic noob mistake, lesson learned and thankful it wasnt a failed part.

Is it common to disconnect the inverter during storage even when the display reads as off? im sure it uses a tiny amount of power with the display on.

Also, if I was wanting to add some solar panels to this system do i have to buy a controller that works with this inverter or do they not need to work together?

Is it ok to leave the batteries in the unit it during winter(-30C max) or do people keep them in a warm space out of the vehicle. It will likely need to be stored for 5 months

Oz

I've never heard of anyone removing their converter or inverter for winter.
However, many people  (including myself) remove the batteries.  A frozen battery is a bad thing.

"It's bad enough when your car or truck doesn't start, but when you find out your battery is frozen solid, now that's brutal. ... When the liquid inside the battery freezes, it can break the electrical connections inside and bend the plates. This lowers the battery's output, often far enough that the battery is useless."
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca