1972 Winnebago Brave D18 - RE: Best Sealant to coat aluminum roof with?

Started by SloTownJ, September 19, 2021, 06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SloTownJ

Hello Everyone,

This is regarding my Winnebago Brave D18. The rig has the thermo-panel roof with white painted aluminum. No Leaks so far. The previous owner had coated the roof with a rubber sealant (have no record of what product it was). The sealant eventually cracked and I did not trust it. I attempted to coat over it with a product called liquid rubber but had bonding issues (even though I prepped it well). This weekend I stripped the entire roof down to it's original metal. I plan to use the eternabond double sided adhesive tape to reseal the vents, etc. I'm building a support structure frame to prevent sag for my new AC. Was also going to use the eternabond double sided adhesive tape  to apply some thin aluminum sheets over small unused attachment areas to seal unused screw holes.

Once I shore everything up what would everyone recommend I re-coat the metal roof with? I need a coating that will adhere well to the original metal (painted with some scratched areas). The coating I choose must also be good for future coats. I'm hoping to find something that I can re-apply again in another 5-10 years if necessary. I look forward to everyones suggestions.

Thanks for your time. Cheers, Jeremy

Oz

Elastomeric sealant.  Eternabond tape for seams and roof fixtures.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

SloTownJ

Thanks Oz!

Two types of Elastomeric Sealant: Silicone and Acrylic? Silicone looks pretty bulletproof... But nothing will bond to it accept for Silicone so future repairs must be silicone.

What brand of Silicone or Acrylic sealant do people recommend?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeremy