85 Elandan water pump replacement and radiator removal

Started by mechmanrick, September 05, 2021, 03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mechmanrick

Do it yourself attempt to fix squealing fan belts and suspected bad bearing on water pump.  Engine is a 454 Chevy 7.5 liter big block.  Removing the radiator to get to the front of the engine.  Project is underway and after about 16 hours under the hood, the radiator is out.  The fun part, however, has just begun!

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

mechmanrick

Here's some pictures of the steps I've taken so far to remove everything that I could from the front of the engine in order to gain clear access to the water pump and the pulleys.  Here's the list:  A/C compressor, heater hoses, alternator, fan shroud, fan and clutch, Oil cooler and AC cores attached to front of the radiator, the metal frame that holds the radiator, and finally, the radiator itself- all removed at this point.  Took about 16 hours total as I scratched my head at each step and figured it out.  Wanted to quite about 5 times but I was able, in the end to do it.  Was not easy. 

mechmanrick

mechmanrick

mechmanrick

mechmanrick

mechmanrick

mechmanrick

Success!  Clear access.  Now for the fun part!  Trying to get the water pump removed.  Stay tuned....

mechmanrick

Water pump is out.  I can barely spin the shaft by hand.  Clearly the reason for the squealing belts etc...  Had to wrestle with the bolts that hold down the power steering pump and the bracket to adjust the tension for the PS pump belt.  Eventually figured it out.   

mechmanrick

mechmanrick

Lots of oil smeared around from what appears to be a leak near the front of the engine.  I have zero experience here.  Anyone know where all this oil is likely coming from?  Timing chain cover?  Something else.  Tips appreciated....

Oz

cadillac_al

mechmanrick

I have reported this to the moderator.  I think the photos need to be approved before they will display and they have not yet been approved.  RC

Oz

All the photos were approved. They should be visible. 

mechmanrick

OK.  So I'm trying to replace any and all parts that ought to be replaced while I have the radiator out.  For instance, small things, like the thermostat and temperature sensors.  However, I'm confused by what I'm seeing and could use some help identifying which is what.  So- here are some more pictures!  Any help is appreciated.  RC

mechmanrick

I now know, thanks to a little research, that I'm looking at 2 "ported vacuum switches".  The struggle is real....  lol

cadillac_al

Oh well, I guess the pics don't work on this site.  I was curious how big this job is.

mechmanrick

Cadillac:  It's big.  I've put it off for several years but when the water pump completely froze, it became essential. Getting the radiator removed is the hardest part.  I have both front tires off the rig and I had to remove the metal wheel well shroud covering access to the engine on the drivers side to get to the bolts holding down the radiator frame.  Takes a huge amount of time and effort.  But- it can be done!  Of course I'm only half way through.  Time will tell if I can get everything back together again, properly.  Also, you will spend a lot of time on the internet reading posts to guide you.  PS:  I can see the pictures when I access the site.  Can't explain why you cannot.  If someone else viewing these posts can/cannot see the pics, could you please say say so?  Thanks,  RC

cadillac_al

Ahhh that's the tip I wasn't getting.  I know you can't reach much through the hood or through the doghouse.  The trick is to go in from the wheel well.  I am scared I might have to do this on the road sometime.  I just hope I get some kind of warning and can get it closer to home or close to a parts store.

I am using firefox and was thinking about trying Chrome to see if the pics will load.  It will have to be another day because I am leaving in the morning.   :D

cadillac_al

I was just leaving the site and I got a message in red just as I was clicking so I didn't get to read it.  Then the pics showed up, wahoo.

cadillac_al

That is a pretty tough job.  Hopefully in an emergency I could get that water pump out without removing the radiator.  I could be wrong and it is nice to have full access to the front. 

I have a question.  Your engine compartment looks a lot like my 86 Itasca.  Do you have any idea what that electrical isolater thing is that is mounted above the alternator?  It looks just like the battery isolator in the battery compartment.  I can't find any voltage on it anywhere and can't figure out what it does.

mechmanrick

Cadillac:  Here's a pic of what I have on my rig.  Is this what you mean?  I can't tell you exactly what it is or what it does.  Maybe someone else reading this can chime in.  I will do a little research.  Thanks.  RC

Oz

It's a battery isolator or constant duty battery solenoid.  All the old RVs have them.  Most were located in the side battery compartment where the coach batteries are located.

It regulates voltage from the alternator to charge the engine and coach batteries.  It can also allow the coach batteries to be used to assist starting when the chassis battery is low or dead, if you have a MOM switch.

Wiring diagrams for these configurations can be found here, if needed.

A great explanation of it is here, and there's plenty more topics on it as well.

https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=1250.msg1285#msg1285