85 Elandan water pump replacement and radiator removal

Started by mechmanrick, September 05, 2021, 03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mechmanrick

New water pump installed.  (3rd try to get it right)  Pump came with only one threaded metal heater hose connector.  I had to buy the second one, separately.  Since I'm cutting out the AC compressor, I removed the bracket that holds it to the engine block, leaving extra room for adjusting belts in the future.  WARNING:  anyone thinking about replacing the water pump from over the top of the engine without removing the radiator should think again!  I have the radiator out and have direct access to the front of the engine and it's still challenging to remove and replace all the bolts that hold the water and power steering pumps to the engine block.  Can't imagine doing it without the space needed to move stuff around.  Frankly, I think it would be impossible.  Plus, with the radiator removed, I can clean and fix a ton of stuff that I can't get to otherwise. Hoses, fuel pump. thermostat, etc....

Eyez Open

:)clap great job, I am about to replace my water pump radiator intact.  ???

cadillac_al

Quote from: Eyez Open on September 26, 2021, 04:04 PM

That sounds very interesting.  I hope you start your own thread on that procedure and show us how it's done.  I would like to think it could be done but I'm not so sure.

mechmanrick

Eyez:  Let me know if you run into anything that i can help you with.  Just finishing up, myself.  So far so good.  RC

eXodus

Quote from: mechmanrick on September 17, 2021, 10:45 AM
Cadillac:  It's big.  I've put it off for several years but when the water pump completely froze, it became essential. Getting the radiator removed is the hardest part.  I have both front tires off the rig and I had to remove the metal wheel well shroud covering access to the engine on the drivers side to get to the bolts holding down the radiator frame.  Takes a huge amount of time and effort.  But- it can be done!  Of course I'm only half way through.  Time will tell if I can get everything back together again, properly.  Also, you will spend a lot of time on the internet reading posts to guide you.  PS:  I can see the pictures when I access the site.  Can't explain why you cannot.  If someone else viewing these posts can/cannot see the pics, could you please say say so?  Thanks,  RC

why taking out the radiator to change the waterpump?

The last time I changed the water pump I just remove the shroud and - remove the fan blade - and took the pump out (working from above and below)  Radiator stayed in.

eXodus

Quote from: Eyez Open on September 26, 2021, 04:04 PM

I did that two years ago. Never in my dream I thought about removing the radiator.

Was tight as heck and lots of   $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@!

The hardest part was getting the fan shroud out through the doghouse and the fan clutch of.

Eyez Open

It is easy for me to understand both points of view. Frankly it is all about the brain damage one is willing to go thru and make no mistake it is brain damage. Having a full set of tool's is a basic, perhaps some stretching exercises and a very well lit work area. One thing ive found working on a RV is to build a platform to lay over the dog house, laying on the engine is not healthy. Three 2x6's and a 1/2" cap works nicely in my case...and frequent timeout's... it reminds me why i hated some aspects of GM engineering and the patience require to win...Ive just replaced the master cylinder, that was really a lot of work and different angles to get it all done. LMAO that little master cylinder is braced up enough to withstand a nuclear explosion and to make it worse someone used blue loctite to ensure there work on all the mounting bolts...Such is Life. :D

mechmanrick

eXodus:  To each his own, I guess.  I see you have a 350, not the 454 that I have.  Maybe there's more space to work on yours.  All I know is that as much trouble as it was to remove the radiator, I still think it's less work than trying to remove the water pump and the brackets for the power steering pump and the one for the A/C compressor and the thermostat housing and the 2 hoses that come off the pump- all from above. 

Eyes:  I test drove my rig yesterday.  Now I have a loud whine from the power steering pump.  I'm hoping I just lost fluid during the change-over.  But with my luck I will be soon changing out the pump.  It is 35 years old after all.  I will be looking for your project description for advice.  RC

eXodus

Quote from: mechmanrick on September 29, 2021, 07:30 PM
eXodus:  To each his own, I guess.  I see you have a 350, not the 454 that I have.  Maybe there's more space to work on yours.  All I know is that as much trouble as it was to remove the radiator, I still think it's less work than trying to remove the water pump and the brackets for the power steering pump and the one for the A/C compressor and the thermostat housing and the 2 hoses that come off the pump- all from above. 

I didn't say it was easy - I had a 1996 Brave before and did the waterpump on that 454.

Just said that I wasn't even thinking about removing the radiator. This option didn't occur to me.  Sorry if that came out the wrong way. Didn't wanted to critique your method.
It's doable from above and below.

Basically at your Step 4 - I started unbolting the parts from the front of the engine (primary laying underneath), where you started removing the radiator.

On the 350 it's super easy - there is so much space in front of the engine. You only need to unbolt the 4 bolts from the pump. It came out with the fan still attached lol.

Eyez Open

Eyes:  I test drove my rig yesterday.  Now I have a loud whine from the power steering pump.  I'm hoping I just lost fluid during the change-over.  But with my luck I will be soon changing out the pump.  It is 35 years old after all.  I will be looking for your project description for advice.  RC

Actually, I think you have done a bang-up job, as to your PS pump, and if it's a hydro-boost system any air in the lines needs to be bleed. Hydroboost is a different animal to me, I've never seen it before. I have done some reading and have come to learn bleeding out the system is not easy and quite different. There are a few well-written threads on this site that will take you thru the process.

Each person's journey is a bit different in regards to rehabbing an old piece of equipment, in my case the first order of business was the engine/transmission. After stripping off the pollution system air pump included.... then changing the engine tune it became apparent the valves were sticking. So off goes valve covers which means off goes the A/C pump. In the end, the engine is now up to speed&healthly, at the same time I now have a clear shot and good view of the pump. With the fan off the area is quite spacious actually, the only speed bump I can see is dismounting the PS pump. Perhaps I should post a picture for a good visual.

Right now I am finishing up brakes and bearings, that was quite a lot of work. My old calipers literally would not go back on so I just replaced them with new rebuilds...next are the tag axles. Hopefully they will be more cooperative, which I anticipate they will not be. I'm sure the old shoes are junk and from I understand they are no longer made...A bridge I will cross before Friday. Perhaps next week I will address the cooling system if my body can recover by then, throwing around the tires/rims is hard on this old man but I am getting close to being done.

mechmanrick

Eyes:  Sounds like you are taking big bites out of the mechanical rehabilitation of your unit.  I think that a low fluid level is the problem with my power steering unit.  Will know soon but I got diverted by the fuel pump this week.  The old one was original equipment, making it over 35 years old.  So I replaced it.  Went pretty smooth but still a lot of work (on my old knees) and a lot of time.  I've been getting a backfire and an engine stumble once the engine warms up and I try to accelerate.  I'm hoping it's the pump, but I doubt it.  Still, I had to eliminate it as a suspect before moving on to other possibilities.  I see you have already been down the road on a lot of the things that I need to repair or check.  I will be watching you!  RC

Elandan2

Quote from: mechmanrick on October 07, 2021, 10:53 PMI've been getting a backfire and an engine stumble once the engine warms up and I try to accelerate.  I'm hoping it's the pump, but I doubt it.  Still, I had to eliminate it as a suspect before moving on to other possibilities.
Although our rig is a Dodge, I was having the same problem on acceleration. Cured the problem by adjusting the accelerator pump to deliver more fuel.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Eyez Open

Fourtantley time is on my side. At any given time I have 3 projects going on at one time. Right now I am about to engage in a new tankless water heater, address the water pump/timing chain and address the old aged pinstripes. When one job gets to be overwhelming I simply bounce to another project. It keeps me sane.

As to your backfire/fuelsystem/timing issues i too have been there done that. Looking back is easy, I wish I had just pulled the air conditioner, then removed the valve covers. Then adjusted the valves,then cleaned All the contacts in the HEI cap and the unit its self. Heat wrapped the fuel line,cutoff the emission system set the initial timing to 10 degrees btdc...Ohh replace all the rubber fuel lines,and the two inline fuel filters.

Then again if someone would have told me to do as much I may well have said...have a good day See Ya!

Eyez Open

Below all one ever wanted to know about hydro boost and steering....Maybe to much does come to mind.

https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,9126.0.html

udidwht

On some years the water pump, clutch fan can be removed from below by removing a metal plate such as this guy did...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/what-did-you-do-to-your-old-rv-today-133779-444.html#post5713099
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 28ft
P30 454 TBI w/4L80E VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
78,XXX US as of 8/2/23