1991 P30 23" Motorhome : How to remove this transmission electric plug ?

Started by Canopus, April 23, 2022, 12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canopus

Hello

Do you please know how to remove this electric plug from my Motorhome transmission ?

I don't know what transmission model it is exactly but the engine is a 454 7.4L

I tried to unscrew using the tork drive but it's too hard and I don't want to break this vital plug.

It should be very easy with the right procedure but I saw many tutorials and none show the same plug.

Thanks in advance.

Florent

cadillac_al

I have never had one of those but it looks like that torx screw in the middle of it is holding it in.  The white part should separate from the gray part

eXodus

you might have "early" version of either the 4L80E or the 4L60E.  Like Beta products :P

Could you get a picture of the oil pan or where the shifter attaches? Could give us more hints what you got there.

eXodus

Canopus

Hello and thanks for your help.

I don't have more pictures right now and the rv is not close.

I know this video: For sure I got the older model.

They talk about the old plug but do not show how to remove it.

It happens sometime that gears are not shifting: On the road I went to a mechanic and he cleaned the oil in/on the plug and it run again.

So I want now to clean this plug as a regular maintenance but I never expected it will be so difficult.

eXodus

soak it in penetrating oil for a few days and try your luck with an good fitting Torx bit and impact drill.

Even when the impact can't break it loose just by letting it hammer for a few seconds - it opens up the threads and you can get some more penetrating fluid in.

Canopus

The plug is all of plastic so I don't think to use an impact :)

eXodus

not like a 1/2 tire lug nut air impact.

1/4 tiny electric impact drill.   I'm using that for electronics, like server cases and laptops.