New Electric fuel pump can't keep up on freeway. RV stalled

Started by 50YrOlNoob, August 09, 2021, 01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raceluvr

Totally agree with Rick.  I am currently dropping both of my tanks to remove and replace the screen socks, which are blocking the fuel from being pumped by the fuel pump.  They are varnished up to the point that absolutely nothing will pass through them.  The motor home sat for years.  I just hope they still make the socks or I'll need to have external filters outside each tank.

50YrOlNoob

Thanks again to you both Elandan2 and Raceluvr. I did drop the tank and the strainer screen is totally plugged. I'm surprised it even sent gas thru. I went to several autoparts and I couldn't find anything like it. I looked online and nothing either, but I did find several fuel tank strainers. Do you guys know a good strainer to get? There's so many makers.

Thanks again!

Elandan2

If you can't find the screens, I'd be inclined to do as Raceluvr suggested and use an external filter near the tank. Then it can be easily changed in the future if need be.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Raceluvr

Even though I really wouldn't want to drop these tanks again, I got creative and made a suitable filter screen replacement.  5/16 & 3/8 sizes are available on Amazon, so I purchased 2 of each size to play around with.  The 5/16 came right away, but the other size is coming from a supplier that ships outside of Amazon, so I am experimenting with the 5/16 first.  Using the screen filter and a 5/16 nylon 90 elbow, here is what I came up with.  When I pulled the main tank, the screen is nowhere to be found, but a flexible piece of rubber gas line is all that remains.  I will use a similar length of all new rubber from my hand pump, and hose clamp it to the screen, and then to the end of the fuel tube.  I will repeat the process with the other tank.  You really have to work to twist the elbow into the screen so it stays put. 
I have tested this and it pulls gas just fine through the sending unit to another gas can using a hand pump, so I am fairly confident it will work just fine in the tank.  A huge key to remember is that there can be no leaks that might draw in air, which will reduce any fuel delivery pressure.  I'll post another photo of the completed unit before I insert into the tank and secure it up.

50YrOlNoob

Thank you all for your suggestions and tips. I like what you did on your setup Raceluvr.

I'm upset at my mechanic friend because this was the first thing he worked on but didn't bother taking the pump out to clean it and that was the main problem.

I ended up cleaning the pump and the entire fuel line. I used Gumout and Seafoam cleaning products and together they both did a great job with the pump. I used Q-tips at as far as they could go. I then used 10 gage steel wires as long as they could go. I finished it off with 8 gage electrical wire. It worked great because I was able to flex it all the way from one side to the other. I also did the same process on the entire fuel lines and blew them off clean with an air compressor. There was still so much "rusted" gasoline in the lines. I'm able to drive around with no problems now.

I installed an external copper core fuel filter and another filter for the emission control plus I still have the other regular fuel filter midway.

Good thing I never gave up thanks to you all. I also learned so much and can do some major work on RV's now that I never thought possible. Once again thank you all for your tips and suggestions. This post is finally closed.

God bless.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca