Thieves tried to steal my catalytic converter

Started by Ericb760, August 01, 2021, 02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ericb760

I keep my RV on a five acre parcel of land that we own. It's on a dead end dirt road that isn't highly traveled. Even so, I make it a point to stop by the property at least twice a month to check the RV and take a look around. This morning my wife and I drove there planning to do some cleaning before a scheduled trip in September.
As usual, I started the engine to make sure it was running okay and I immediately sensed (and heard) an exhaust leak coming from about midship. I crawled underneath to discover the exhaust pipe exiting the converter was just dangling there. The thieves were able to cut through the back pipe but apparently couldn't get their saw in to the limited space at the front of the converter.
I was so pissed I forgot to take a picture. The repair won't be too difficult and will involve welding a sleeve over the cut part.
This is just a PSA that it is a good idea to check your RV cat even if it is in gated storage. Apparently converter theft is rampant in Cali right now, and I would guess that it is around the country too.
1989 Winnie Chieftain 28'

Oz

It's been rampant for many years.   Great $$$ for recycle.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

PLUM72

Etch the VIN number into the Catalytic converter.  Might make someone think twice.