Axle replacement

Started by Greasemonkey64, July 17, 2022, 06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greasemonkey64

The rear axle on my 1990 p30 motorhome is completely destroyed (irreparable) and will need to be replaced. Im trying to find a used axle to replace it with. Its a 10 lug dually axle. I need to fins out what will work as a replacement. Is it possible a p30 van axle would work? Sorry for lack of info, its on the side of the road miles away at the moment and all I have infowise is memory and the title at the moment. Left my book of manuals in it that has my axle info :( Ill have to go get that in a bit.

Greasemonkey64

How are the axle shafts retained? Are the retained on the pumpkin side or hub side? The pumpkin nuked itself due to low diff oil and if there retained pumpkin side i cant pull it because the shafts could slide out. If there retained hub side I can pull off the diff cover and remove the debris and pull it with a truck. If i cant pull it this is gonna be very expensive to get towed...

Eyez Open

Greasemonkey64

Does anyone know if an 84 axle will work? I found one for sale out of an 84 in my area

Eyez Open

Looks like your in luck. New there a numbers match. But i would call Dana axle support just to verify.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1990,p30,7.4l+454cid+v8,1059454,drivetrain,axle+shaft,10439

Greasemonkey64

There is 10 bolts on the diff cover making me think its either a dana 70 or dana 80. There was a small flange bolted to the cover that has the number 41-9 stamped on it and under neath that 4.56. Im assuming 4.56 is the rear end ratio but what does the 41-9 mean?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Hopefully the information below will assist in axle ID:
1990 GM P30 Parts
Axle ID Assistance
[move][/move]

Elandan2

41-9 is the number of teeth on the ring gear (41) and pinion (9). 41/9 = 4.56
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck