New here and also an RV noob ;)

Started by 50YrOlNoob, July 07, 2021, 05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50YrOlNoob

Blessings all! I'm so glad I found this group. I just acquired a fixer-upper RV and have such hard time getting it going. They can't help me much at the auto parts places. My VIN number is not on the system (72S2523) and it's been hard to match parts that will work with my RV. They do cross-reference but I keep getting parts that don't fit like the spark plugs or basic things like that and keep going back and forth.

Thank you all for taking the time to help others out. God bless.

Oz

Hello and Welcome!  The VIN number you're using isn't the chassis VIN, it's the coach VIN, which.is acceptable for title and registration in some states.   Use the VIN decoder on the main nav bar to decipher your chassis VIN. 

We have a Chassis Service and Parts manual in the club store, which will be of great value to you.

We were all noobs once, so you're among friends!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

50YrOlNoob

Hello Oz,

I appreciate your advice greatly. I did look into that VIN decoder but couldn't figure it out. My son and I looked though the entire vehicle and couldn't see any numbers anywhere. I may need to de-grease the whole front end but we just didn't see any #s. I'll look into those Chassis Service and Parts manuals.

Thanks!

50YrOlNoob

Hello Oz,

Could you please help me out to figure out another VIN#. I received the information needed to get the radiator for my first RV donation but now I updated my profile to get information on another RV they donated to me. It's a 1979(8) Dodge Brougham Sportsman. 440-4BBL, V8. I purchased all the books I could on your store but I still can't figure the VIN decoder.

Shell VIN#B1IC25LKC522868

Chassis #'s
Make=Dodge, Model F40, VIN#F44CA8V725915, T.O.W.=SD217609

Tag on engine #'s
25224      MB4     163     FRT      SEC     I-LINE
PY1417
F44CA8V725915                SD217609

Your help is greatly appreciated. God bless!

Oz

The coach VIN is useless as no coach VIN decoder exists and it's irrelevant to the chassis.

The chassis VIN: 
F4 = model MB400
4 = conventional cab (with the different possible options listed)
C = GVW 10,001 - 14,000 lbs ( actual depends on what coach style was built on it)
A = engine  = 440-3
8 = 1978
V = built at Warren Truck Compact plant
The rest are just the specific vehicle sequence number.

Oz

Did you see the decipher of your VIN?   Hm?

50YrOlNoob

Hello OZ.

I did see it and they did help but I still had problems ordering parts at the local stores. They need 17 numbers to identify a VIN. I didn't get to comment because I wanted real life feedback before I responded. What I've had to do is remove the parts to take them for a match but I would love to have a VIN number that I could just use to order parts without removing them or going through different vehicle models every time I go to get a close match like I've been doing.

I don't know how to get a close match inputting numbers and options on these site:

https://www.partsgeek.com/

https://www.autozone.com/vin-decoder

The local Auto stores don't have a clue as to how to match my engine exactly but have been helping me going through different models matching V8 with 440 - 4 BBL engines. Some finds are a match but most are a miss.

I finally got the engine on the RV with the updated specs noted on my profile going. I drove it to the gas station and took it to AutoZone but it overheated on me as I was arriving home. I'll need to do a radiator flush. It's been sitting for 20 years. I read that For larger vehicles such as an RV, the cost of a radiator flush can range anywhere from $300 to $750 but I would love to do it myself if possible, like I've been doing. Could your recommend a Radiator Flush Kit or should I just take it to the radiator shop?

I understand I didn't place that last question on the proper board section because it was supposed to just be a comment but I would like to know your feedback on it if you don't mind. Any additional help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all your help and support!

LJ-TJ

Youtube is your friend. Yes Oz I'm still out here. Just coming out of quarantine. Going to be a long hot summer. Hope full be able to get Sate side this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=How+to+flush+a+RV+Radiator

Oz

Hope you and LJ are both in good health, TJ!

Flushing the radiator can be laborious because there's so much fluid in the engine.  Unless you pull the plugs in the block and drain it as well, you need to go through the manual process several times to get all the old stuff out (along with scale and debris, rust).  This is why people have it done at a shop, because they have a power flusher which constantly supplies flushing solution while draining the old stuff, then filling with new.

Engine parts are actually pretty available.  Use the same year heavy duty truck model. The 440-3 should be listed as 440 HD.  Truck model D300 or D400.

Oh, if you're thinking of replacing the thermostat when you do the flush, there are dozens of them available, but only one type is correct.  It must be Skirted.  SEE the search function in the upper right - select "Google" from the drop-down for threads on that info.