I need help to get a radiator for my 1972 Executive RV

Started by 50YrOlNoob, July 07, 2021, 05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50YrOlNoob

Blessings all.

I'm so glad I found this group.

I just acquired a "Senior Executive RV" mounted on a M400 chassis with a V8 Engine, 413 cu. in. The radiator has a trans cooler as well.

It's very difficult finding the right parts for this fixer-upper RV. They can't help me much at the auto parts places. My VIN number is not on the system and it's been hard to match parts that will work with my RV. They do cross-reference but I keep getting parts that don't fit like the spark plugs, distributor cables or basic things like that and keep going back and forth.

At the moment I have one major issue. I need a radiator and got some ridiculous quotes to have it re-cored ($800 to $1000) at my local muffler shops here in California and I even tried 1800-RADIATORS and others. I would really appreciate help and direction.

Thank you all for taking the time to help others out. God bless.

Oz

See my reply about your VIN on your intro post.

There are alternative, aluminum radiator options, but unless you can do the welding modifications yourself to mount it, having your original radiator recored is the most prudent option (which is what the vast majority of owners do).
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Winnebago Man

Congrats on your new motorhome.

As far as getting common replacement parts, the best thing you can do is download the dodge parts list from the site store for a few bucks and you cross reference the original part numbers to get the correct new equivalent part. I had to learn this with the 413 in my Brave, I couldn't find and simple parts before (the 413 doesn't show up on any parts listing in a store or online) and after putting the original part numbers into rockauto I could order everything I needed.

I know what you mean about the radiator. GOOD radiator shops are disappearing fast. Where are you in California? I just had my radiator re cored for my 70s Chevy suburban last month at a shop in Wilmington CA, Davids radiator service. It was about $375 if I remember right, and he said the cores are made locally. My problem was I wanted to keep the original radiator and not go for a aluminum. Last time I had one re cored was years ago and my local shop closed down. Everyone else I called either didn't repair anymore (replace only) or they wanted 600-800 dollars and wouldn't tell me where the cores came from... I can't speak for longevity yet but they did a good job and it was reasonable. One thing I noticed when I was there was that they were only working on semi's and big trucks at the time, I took that as a good sign.

Good luck in your search.

50YrOlNoob

Thank you so much for that info. I did go to Dave's radiator in Wilmington, CA and he actually gave me the best quote. Still more than I was hoping to pay but way less than the rest. He quoted me $650 and three business days.

I paid for the membership and purchased all the manuals for my RVs. That should help me out lots.

Thanks again!

50YrOlNoob

I really appreciate your links. I'll contact the manufacturers to check for availability. They look exactly like what I need.

Thanks! God bless.

Oz

I don't think that radiator for $277 is a good choice.  Maybe ok for a car, but not likely adequate for a heavy duty, motorhome application.  And, the outlets are only 1-1/2" diam.  Need to check your hoses for the diameter on that, and I doubt it fits without modification (welding/bracket fabrication).  The info they polst talks about being wary of other types of radiators compared to theirs, but for only $277?  Makes me question that their claims are a bit "outrageous".

The one for $489, is also 2 row, but it does have copper cores, which is better than aluminum.  Again, need to check hose diameters and need for custom mounting.

The 3 row which is made specifically for a motorhome would be right, but... $1,074... ouch...

And this is why re-core has been the route of choice for most owners.

Eyez Open

Quote from: 50YrOlNoob on July 10, 2021, 04:17 AM
I really appreciate your links. I'll contact the manufacturers to check for availability. They look exactly like what I need.

Thanks! God bless.

As noted above take some time to follow this company down, below is a example which bring hope...Trust them as far as you can throw them at first...that is just my opinion in regards to the net...but there is a vast amount of knowledge and information out there..

https://www.elcaminocentral.com/threads/experience-with-entropy-radiators.240946/

Just installed one a couple of months ago... but! here's the trick to save you lots of money. Engineered Cooling Products is the same company but a lot less expensive http://www.speedcooling.com/
So, they basically have ECP as a different style and Entropy as the more a race set up. If you can find the same radiator on the ECP side it will be much less.. think I've said that a couple of times : ) I'm very happy with my 70s C10 radiator that's in my 60 El Camino. I wouldn't have any problem what so ever ordering another from either side of the company. You are dealing with more HP than I.
I paid I think around $220 for my new radiator. One of my best friends installed the same radiator as I, that's how I found out about them.

I'm Happy to answer any questions if I can. Also, my credit card charge showed Entropy is also how I figured out they're the same They're web pages are designed basically the same. Funny how they make the two look like different co's not sure why minus the fact the race guys are paying more!!!

Eyez Open

You may well be totally correct, i should have posted the as to why i put up those links...there's hope. If you notice on the below link there is a diagram as to how to measure a radiator for fitment, that is critical in selecting a new product vs a recore. Take the time to measure and look for the closet fit possible...I am not being a smart A@@ just take the time to do it right in the first place...its just a cooling radiator not rocket science...well maybe just a tad...

https://speedcooling.com/22-Mopar-BIG-BLOCK-HD-Aluminum-Radiator.html

Again another selection....https://speedcooling.com/26-Big-Block-Mopar-Radiator.html
And perhaps the parent company...https://entropyrad.com/product-category/radiators/chevy-radiators/chevy-truck-radiators/

50YrOlNoob

I truly appreciate all the info you provided Eyez Open. I have 3 RV's they donated to me now. I plan to restore them and stay with the best and sell the rest. The more I learn the better for the future.

Thank you Winnebago Man I decided to go with Dave's radiator shop. He guaranteed a way better performance than the original. He works Saturdays and will have it done by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thank you Oz for your great help as well. Please consider this post solved.

God bless y'all

Oz