1969 D-24 Brave - tow capacity with 318

Started by NorthCountryTraveler, July 05, 2021, 11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthCountryTraveler

Hello, This is my first post!!!!
I am considering buying a 1969 D 24 Brave with a 318. My objective is to use it as a tow rig for a race car and travel to SCCA & NASA events and be able to stay in the paddock -or(pits) self sustained. This unit is in great condition and in drivable condition with really great interior. Only things i would add are a AC unit and to find a reserve gas tank for it.

So my question is, with standard bolt on upgrades to the 318 and a proper tow hitch installed will this machine tow a enclosed car hauler at 55-60 mph? I would plan on swapping to something like a 360 with overdrive down the road but would like to get away with the 318 for a while.
Thanks

Oz

It will tow at that speed on level ground, but you'll be disappointed at how long it takes to get there and you'll be really dogging it uphills.  Not to mention, you're going to have to give more space and time for stopping.  The 318 is just sufficient to pull the motorhome, towing power just isn't there.  That's why they upgraded to the 413 and then 440 in the 24'+ models a couple years later.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

NorthCountryTraveler

Yes, everything i could find to read says that without expensive modification it will never do what i want long term. The money spent trying to make the 318 practical would be better spent in a larger displacement swap. The 360 should be a easy direct swap. I found a option to stroke a 360 to a total of 408 cubic inches that provides at lot of low end torque. This option will run around 3-5K but i believe it will make it practical towing a 3600 lbs trailer with race car and equipment added. If anyone has done something similar please post any experience or ideas on how it may be best to upgrade this rig to a reliable race hauler for the long term.
Thanks!