Evans heater stuck on

Started by YYC403, June 20, 2021, 11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YYC403

So the Evans heater that sits under the dash on the passenger side seems to be stuck on or always running?

Wife rode out with me on our last trip the other weekend and she noticed that the Evans box was just pumping out heat while I drove.

Seems like it's more active while I'm actually driving opposed to stop/at idle.

I pulled the heater fuse under the dash thinking that would kill power/prevent the evans box from running but no luck, so I popped the fuse back in it.

Not familiar with this heater setup and again sorting out fun mysteries with the newish to me winnie.

Heat is turned down all the way on the dash control and fan is off but heat is still coming out, so I searched on here and googled as well. Not fully aware of how this heater works, plenty of engine coolant, even topped it up today thinking it might be mysteriously low for some reason if the engine coolant comes into play with these units some how from what I've read.

Any insight as to what I can check or why heat is pumping while I'm driving?

Thanks

Elandan2

It's possible the valve is not closing completely. That valve is located on the coolant line running to the heater. It is located near the engine. There is also the possibility that the hoses are reversed and the coolant is going to the heater core before being stopped by the valve.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

YYC403

It was the valve stuck open, thanks for the tip.

Took the dog house cover and found the valve connected to the tube going to the heater, dash control did nothing when I moved it so I just moved the metal tab thing the opposite way figuring that would close it, let the unit run for a while and voila, zero heat.

This will make the upcoming drive a whole lot less toasty, thanks again.

Oz

Awesome when it's an easy fix!   :) :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca