AC or replace with Fan

Started by shilohako, May 26, 2021, 11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shilohako

I am just wondering since I couldnt find anything in search if anyone has replaced their AC with just a fan.  I would like to get all the weight off the roof, but dont know what size hole the AC has and if there is a fan that would fit hole.  I dont think I will be using AC much since most of what I would be doing is dry camping, so a fan would be more useful. 
If anyone knows the size of hole the AC puts through the roof I would appreciate it.

Elandan2

The AC is mounted through a standard 14" x 14" opening. A fan is also designed for that opening. You would probably need to get 12 volt power to the opening as well.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

Assuming you already have a roof AC and want to replace it, the above opening size is correct and you already have 12v going to it.  So, that's convenient.

As long as you don't camp in hot, humid places, or don't mind it, a fan would be ok.

If you do, you're going to regret losing the air condtioner very much.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

shilohako

does my roof AC on 76 brave run off my batteries.  I have never tried it but I guess it would drain them fast

Elandan2

Shore power or generator.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

Like Rick said.  And, the compressor won't run off a 15amp circuit (like plugged into a house outlet).

eXodus

Quote from: Oz on May 27, 2021, 10:27 PM
Like Rick said.  And, the compressor won't run off a 15amp circuit (like plugged into a house outlet).

It does when you installed a $10 hard start kit.

The A/C itself only draws 10-12A  the initial current makes the breaker trip.

I got a Supco kit installed.  Takes like 15 minutes on the roof. Super easy

Oz