1988 Holiday Rambler Imperial, In tank, Carter fuel pump number?

Started by KaraokeGreg, May 22, 2021, 03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaraokeGreg

Looking for some help here again, been trying to get my fuel pump issue fixed for the past 2 years, motorcycle accident set me back a while. I dropped the tank to find a broken piece of tubing between the in tank fuel pump and the metal line it connects to so I replaced the Carter fuel pump while I was at it, with a Bosch #69238 one that the guy at Napa Auto said was a direct replacement. I used the original regulator as it was working up until the hose split on the fuel pump. After getting it back together the issue I now have is to get the motorhome started I must prime it by turning the key on and off 4 or 5 times, but once it starts it runs fine, it will idle and rev up and drive around my parking lot fine, but if I take it out on the road where I have to give it more gas it stalls as if the carb is starved for gas, and then I must repeat the start up procedure to get it going again, but it continues to stall when I get going again. I'm not certain I was given the correct pump at Napa auto as I can't find a specific P30 chassis designation in the application list for a 1988 454 engine, though there are other 454 listings, so I don't know if this is the problem. I'm thinking I should do a pressure test on the pump but don't know where I should test or the correct procedure for doing this. Also if anyone has replaced theirs and has the Carter pump number it would be of great help, as their technical help line has only confused me more giving me different part numbers each time I contact them.Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Greg

tarifachris

I own a 1988 Holiday Rambler Imperial... with my high floor model I can replace the in tank fuel pump without dropping the tank.
I had to replace the tubing between the in tank pump and fuel line as well. I replaced the fuel pump with a generic one. Did you replace the in line fuel filter in the passenger front compartment? Did you replace the little fuel filter in the carburetor? Does your mechanical fuel pump work? It could be as well the famous fuel pump relay... The relay works for some time and then cuts out the fuel pump suddenly... Use the search function and you will find a lot of threads. When I had this problem in the middle of a 1300 mile trip I just connected a 5psi in line fuel pump in the location where the inline fuel filter is. I still use this pump for priming the fuel line and my engine starts with the first crank.
Maybe this summer I will replace the in tank pump with the 60 psi fuel injection pump and use a 8 gauge dedicated positive connection to run the fuel pump without the relay and relocate the fuel pressure regulator to the inline fuel filter location in the front. It makes more sense that the 1/2 inch fuel line is pressured with more psi and then regulated to 5 psi before the mechanical fuel pump. If people want to change to EFI like the Holley Sniper they would have to do this change anyway.

The fuel pressure you would have to check at the inlet to the carburetor!

In the last 7 years I had to replace the mechanical fuel pump, the in tank fuel pump, the fuel pressure regulator, all rubber fuel hoses and 2 x the little fuel filter in the carburetor inlet and 3 x the inline fuel filter!