White knuckle ride

Started by MOS, May 15, 2021, 02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOS

Well we took our first little jaunt in the Winnebago. We had to go 100 miles south to the DMV get it titled and registered. What a ride. As a new motorhome owner I did not expect the white knuckle inspired adrenaline drenched trip that resulted. It's no wonder you can find so many of these old rigs with very little miles on them. Folks are scared to death of them. Now I know there are a lot of upgrades available for them, what have you guys found that works the best to stop the road wander and rut following and wind dancing. I just had a new set of tires installed and got an alignment. I also aired the air bags up to 70 Lbs on the front and 90 on the rear. Also lowered the tire pressure to 70. The tire shop put them to 90 lbs. Also the rig was basically empty except for me and the Better Half I did leave the water tank about half full for some ballast.  Thanks for the help

eXodus

yeah the p30 are kind of loose in the front end :P and tend to be shuffled around by wind when empty.

Does yours have a rear sway bar?  Sway bar bushings in the front?
Those are the first two order of business.

1. Swaybar bushings and add rear swaybar if not there.

2. Get it it weight and adjust tire and airbag pressures according to actual weight.

3. Next - get new shocks all around -  Bilstein or Monroe.

4. Steering Damper

If it's still riding bad -

4. probably the bell cranks are worn out.   There I would recommend the replacements from SuperSteer - they are pricy - like $300 for one side - but it's done after that.

Oz

And check your airbags to make sure they're actually holding air.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tarifachris

Everything the other posters recommended!

How fast do you drive? These older RV's were built for 55 mph!
If I drive 60-65 mph I have no problem at all even in strong head or side wind. No problem with passing Semi's as well.
If there is less than 10 mph wind I could drive 75 no problem - I think the fastest I ever had was 85...
But for what.. Over 65mph my mpg goes crazy downhill. So I cruise between 60-63mph. I drive every year 3000 miles with
my rig and use my cruise control always. There are times that I didn't passed one car or truck for 500 miles...
I do have all new shocks, poly sway bar bushings and even a t-bar stabilizer and dynamic balancer on all my wheels.
Maybe my rig with tag axle handles different than others but I can attest that my P30 improved every time I replaced anything
on the chassis.

eXodus

Quote from: tarifachris on May 20, 2021, 11:44 PM
I do have all new shocks, poly sway bar bushings and even a t-bar stabilizer and dynamic balancer on all my wheels.
Maybe my rig with tag axle handles different than others but I can attest that my P30 improved every time I replaced anything
on the chassis.

I'm on my second P30 chassis now and my theory is that most of the issues come from the design of the steering on the front axel.
Every second year engineering students will point out:

There are just too many parts and angle changes.   If you have forces you want them to run in straight lines.  The p30 bends them in multiple places.
Which means those parts needs to incredible strong to withstand those forces. 
So those tend to wear out very fast and then you get all sorts of wandering.

Further when you get taller and higher the rear sway bar is just undersized.  Needs help from springs or airbags or whatever else.

Wonder when someone comes up for Rack and Pinion Design for the p30.

tarifachris

Quote from: eXodus on May 21, 2021, 09:18 AM

Further when you get taller and higher the rear sway bar is just undersized.  Needs help from springs or airbags or whatever else.

The tag axle P30's have a trackbar on the rear axle. I think this helps a lot. Actually you have to check if the trackbar is in the correct setting - so to speak the rear axle is in the middle. There are info's in the MorRyde manual.

Blksmk80

Odd, I'm.on.my 4th motorhome.  79 dodge diplomat 440, 74 dodge swinger 440, 89 Southwind 454 now my 90 chieftain. I've never once have I had any issues... but then I drive a 175000 lb semi and super b trailers for 10 weeks at a time...

Wish I had some advice too offer. I got new tires, did the double rear blistien shocks upgrade
And added a rear and front sway bar with a 2.5inch bar my friend welded up for me.

eXodus

Quote from: Blksmk80 on May 29, 2021, 04:33 PM
Wish I had some advice too offer. I got new tires, did the double rear blistien shocks upgrade
And added a rear and front sway bar with a 2.5inch bar my friend welded up for me.

Double shocks?  How is that done?   Dual Shocks?  You got pictures?

a 2.5 inch Sway bar should help a lot.  The front bar which original comes with p30s is a joke 1 1/4.    I already got the upgraded 1 5/8.   But 2.5 inch. 
You should make and sell those :P

Blksmk80

The rear is a dual side by side shock blisten 4600 series. With rear air bags. I bought it modified by the previous owner.

The front and rear 2.5 inch swaybars were done by my friend  using the sub frame as mounting points and then routed behind the front bumper. I'll try to get a few pics. Is really helped with the stability and ride.

Might take a week im posting from my cell..

tominos

mine was pretty white knuckled too until i put a rear trackbar on it. i started with new air bags on front, supersteer bell cranks, then the supersteer rear track bar. i got pushed around by most vehicles, not just the big semis until the trackbar.

ymmv

eXodus

Quote from: tominos on June 02, 2021, 09:03 PM
mine was pretty white knuckled too until i put a rear trackbar on it. i started with new air bags on front, supersteer bell cranks, then the supersteer rear track bar. i got pushed around by most vehicles, not just the big semis until the trackbar.

ymmv

I had a 1996 Sunrise 29.  That thing was awful to drive.  Way to long rear overhang

My current P30 is much shorter with less sticking out at the back.  Going to try sumosprings in the back before paying that much for a track bar.