Author Topic: 1978 Winnebago brave  (Read 204 times)

Offline Winnabagel

• Test Driver
  • I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1978
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Brave
  • Chassis: Dodge
  • Engine: 440
1978 Winnebago brave
« on: May 09, 2021, 11:29 PM »
I am new to the RV world and I would like to find the right service manual for my motor home. just picked it up a couple weeks ago and have been going through and cleaning it. needs a little bit of wiring done to the starting system but nothing that i cant handle. just kind of looking for some diagrams to help. It is a 1978 Winnebago brave. I know it has the 440 in it and its on some kind of dodge chassis but not sure which one. I think its the m300 chassis but not exactly sure. which manual would be the best? the dodge manual for the 78 m300 chassis book or maybe the 77 - 80 winnebago & itasca coach service manual?

Offline Oz

• Top Post Contributor
  • Year: 1974
  • Model: D24 Indian
  • Engine: 440-3
Re: 1978 Winnebago brave
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 07:50 PM »
Hello and welcome!

This one right here:

https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=166

You can find out your chassis model number using the Dodge VIN decoder found on the main nav bar button above.

Offline Winnabagel

• Test Driver
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 08:23 PM »
I was actually pretty confused with the vin decoder. There was some numbers I had on my vin that didn’t match up and it really confused me when trying to figure it out. Im new to motor homes but I’m pretty well versed with working on vehicles. I’ll have to take another crack at it again and see if I can figure it out.

Offline Oz

• Top Post Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 08:32 PM »
Not hard to happen.  Vintage Winnebagos have two VINs. One for the coach and one for the chassis since they were manufactured at different locatins.  You need the chassis VIN and, you may need to use the previous year column in the decoder as many were made the year before, but titled in the following year.  Very common.

Offline LJ-TJ

• 16 year member
  • Top Post Contributor
  • Year: 1975
  • Model: D21
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 08:12 AM »
Well if all else fails post it here and I'm sure one of the lads would decode it for you. Hm?

Offline LJ-TJ

• 16 year member
  • Top Post Contributor
  • Year: 1975
  • Model: D21
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 08:13 AM »
I believe you can get all the manuals you need right from this site. Hm?

Offline Winnabagel

• Test Driver
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 10:29 PM »
Not hard to happen.  Vintage Winnebagos have two VINs. One for the coach and one for the chassis since they were manufactured at different locatins.  You need the chassis VIN and, you may need to use the previous year column in the decoder as many were made the year before, but titled in the following year.  Very common.
So the vin number that comes on the title is that the coach vin number? that would make the most sense since non of the vin seems to match up with the decoder. where would I find the chassis vin number? would it be located maybe on the frame somewhere? the only vin that I have is 10F40J191471. I think I have a good idea what chassis it sits on but I want to make sure before i buy any manuals. Thank you!

Offline Winnabagel

• Test Driver
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 10:36 PM »
So I did look where the chassis vin code would be but that sticker that was there had everything scratched off so nothing was readable. couldn't make out any anything on it. I looked in the front right wheelwell above the leaf spring which is where i found the rubbed off sticker. unless i have another chassis vin located somewhere all I have is the coach vin number to go off of and I dont think that will provide me with the info that I need.

Offline Oz

• Top Post Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 03:49 PM »
Sorry to hear you can't find the chassis VIN.  If the number you have on the title doesn't match up at all with the decoder, then yes, it's likely to be the coach VIN. Some states accept either one to use for titke, like Florida.

I don't know if this will work, but contact Winnebago.  They have the records of the VINs made, so they may be able to provide the chassis VIN as well. I don't know for sute, but it's worth a try.

Offline Winnabagel

• Test Driver
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 12:34 AM »

thank you for the advice! I'll have to give them a call soon and see if they can help me in my situation.