400 pound tongue weight

Started by jspringator, October 23, 2020, 02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jspringator

I have a 2002 Winnebago Sightseer 27c on the 14,800 P32 Workhorse Chassis with the narrow front.  The tow rating is 4,000 pounds with 400 pounds dead weight.  I want to mount a 380 pound motorcycle with a 60 pound carrier that will be 40 pounds over maximum.  The hitch itself looks to be a 500/5000 hitch.  The limitation is the MH.  As long as I didn't exceed the rear axle capacity, does this sound like something that is doable?  I was just going to run with 1/4 tank of water and keep the holding tanks empty.

Does this sound doable?

My other option would be to put a carrier on the front.  I would have to get that done custom, and might have to replace my new fixed weight front springs, depending how it weighed out.

I have just about every handling add on available including rear track bar, poly sway bar bushings front and rear, and Sumo springs in the rear.

Oz

Being that you've already calculated your maximum weight and the bike and carrier are just barely over the limit.  I don't think it would be a problem, but I'm not one to take chances either.  No need to mess with the added hassles and expense of putting on a front one, plus maybe needing to upgrade your front suspension as well. How much water you carry or what you've done with your suspension won't affect your hitch ratings.

What you can do is search the net to see if there's anything you can do to your hitch to increase its capacity.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

eXodus

I know this is old - but thought to put it in for the search:

Two limitations are usually on the p30/p32 for towing:

Frame extension and hitch. Depending on who built the coach - that can be as random as specific welding worker having a bad day.
Further the hitch and the attachment to the frame:

I had the frame extension on my Winnebago 29Q - rewelded and added some metal pieces since apparently on that they the welder missed some parts on one side.
My current p32 RV - the frame looks excellent

Yet the hitch is only attached with 4x  grade 5 bolts -  While the hitch itself is rate with 6000lbs /600 tongue.   that attachment is only good for 4000/400

So i drilled a few more holes and replace the bolts with 6x grad 8 - which is enough to hold a hitch of 10.000lbs. Which my hitch is not capable but rather overbuild