Carburetor totally dry and engine won't start

Started by rexibycripto, April 24, 2021, 11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rexibycripto

Hello Guys,
Long story short:
Used my Itasca 31 feet 1984 big book 454 last time in August 2020.
All went well.
Parked and winterized for the entire winter.
I try to start the engine back in last October and no way to start, crank but not run, at that time was to cold to work on it.
So 3 weeks ago I start to diagnose the problem.
Changed already the fuel pump, I was thinking: overall is an old guy, I can spend 80 bucks guessing that the problem is the fuel pump, but after replacing it with the new one, the carburetor still no getting fuel.

• So I have another 4 points to check
    The oil pump safety switch
    The electrical pump (somebody told me that these old models have 2 pumps one electrical and one mechanical)
    The relay
    The switch between the 2 tanks (not sure about this since I never understood if it really works or not!)
Could be crazy but both my gauges sign that both tanks are half/fuel, but maybe I ran out of gas (but can be crazy that I drove for 400 Km and ran out of gas exactly when I have parked, come one) Anyway, tomorrow I will try to put the fuel hose directly into a portable tank just to be sure.
Anyway, can anybody point me to the location of the oil pump safety switch and the relay in our models?
Also any suggestion on other parts to check?
When I removed the pump the entire delivery circuit was completely dry, no fuel in the hose, or in the pump or in the engine, all dry out, not even smell of gas anywhere close to the RV
After the new pump installation, I have tried to crank for one minute then the battery started to die off, so I quite....maybe the pump need to work a little to re-empty the entire fuel delivery system
Please help.....images are welcome!

Eyez Open

The very first thing i  will ask when was the last time your rubber gas line hoses were replaced. There is about 5/6' at the gas tank and another few feet up in the engine bay. Rubber fuel lines do not burst like balloons rather they wear out like old socks....the ones you look up to and can see thru....lmao

Wear out: that term is used to describe alcohol-based fuel literally melting away the rubber.

Elandan2

The best place to start would be pouring a little fuel down the carb. The starter may not be turning the engine fast enough for the fuel pump to pull the fuel from the tank. The other thing to remember, while cranking, the fuel will come from the rear tank regardless of the switch position on the dash. This is because the fuel selector solenoid is disengaged while the ignition is in the "start" position. I have found that the best thing to do is pour gasoline down the vent on the carb to fill the fuel bowls. That way, it will start right up and keep running long enough to get fuel from the tank.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck