Chevey P30 Heater unit removal repair

Started by Jupp318, April 24, 2021, 06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jupp318

Hi guys, Long time since I've en here due the Covid thing. I took my 85 Cheiftain 27 out last weekend and have developed a small leak frm what appears to be the heater unit that's connected to the engine cooling system. The water is coming out of a hole in the floor in front of the passenger seat where the heater is located. Can anyone help me withinstructions on how to remove the unit so I can get it repaired, or is it the case that I should just disconnect it?. Any help will be most appreciated.
Regards Ian...

Jupp318

In the photo you can see the trail of water running down the sealed off pipe which comes through the floor presumably from the heater unit.

Oz

Hello, Ian!  Good to see you again.
Unfortunatelt, I can't assist with your isdue though.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Jupp318

Hi Oz,
In the end I just disconnected it. I have been having a few problems with the LPG but they are understood now and I have a repair kit on it's way from Australia. How are things with you? the last time we spoke you were under a lot of pressure through work. Hopefully things have calmed down for you now. I have retired!!! Unfortunately Covid has put a dampner on using the Winnie very much. We do have a small festival to go to in a couple of weeks but another bigger one has just been postponed for another year.
I hope all is well with you and your family.
Best regards
Ian...

Max

hi there,
on my 81 Brave the heater unit is hold by some aluminum brackets to the floor. Maybe it is still the same in 85. When they are removed from the floor you can move the hole heater unit. Maybe you have to lift it a bit to get the drain hose out of the hole in the floor. The ac and water hoses should be flexible and long enough to move the heater so that you can loosen the small phillipsscrews that hold the frontpanel of the this thing. If here is a vent in the panel than remove the air hose from it and pull the panel off. Now you should see the heater core. Remove the hoses and you can pull it out. Its a while ago and i hope to remember right. It is easier to do, when the passenger seat is out of the way.
I hope this helps
regards Max