Hello again - back with a new to me "used" RV

Started by eXodus, April 23, 2021, 02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eXodus

Hello,

after having a classic Winnebago till 2015 - I've been away in the #Vanlife world in Chevy Express 3500 Van.

Now back on a P32 Workhorse with Chevy smallblock.

From R-Vision - the Trail Lite 241

So basically I got a newer RV from an Orphaned Brand with a lot of old stuff (p30) underneath.   :)

Looking forward to work on it.

Oz

Good to see you back with us!
Might fine looking rig you got there. You musta won the lottery!
;)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tmsnyder

Hi, very interesting rig!

Can you tell me about it?   What's it weigh?  I'm interested b/c it has the 5.7L engine?

What do you think of the way it drives?  How is it in the hills?  Enough power or no?

eXodus

Thanks for the warm welcome.

R-Vision Class As was built by Monaco Motorcoach from like 2000-2004. They only made trailers before.

Stats:
This is the 241 - there had been also a 242 both are  roughly 25ft long.
It sits on the short p32 GVWR 12300lbs - with 158 inches of wheelbase - for comparison My 3500 Express Van has a 155 wheelbase.

I think it has 4.56 gears in a GM 14 Bolt rear axle (which looks very similar to the one underneath my van)
According to the sticker the whole RV should weigh in around 8600lbs - my Van is at 7800lbs. Going to take it to a scale soon. Seems low on the sticker
At that generation the 350 should make around 255-260hp 330lb ft@2800. But Workhorse/R-Vison put in different ECU and it has a huge air intake. So it's every bodies guess what thing is making.
It's mated to a 4L80E (or 4L85E)  have not verified that yet. The pan looks the same as under my 3500, literally the whole drive train looks like 1:1 from the Van. Got the 5.7 in that one as well.

Driving:
I don't have it long enough to give a full report, have not taken it out of flat Florida.
It's cruising along nicely at 70 mph down the interstate without to much white knuckle what I was used from my other p30 vague steering.
Further it gets going from a red light, really surprised.
It has a surprising small turning radius - I can make a U-turn in a 2 lane (both directions) from the left lane - without hitting the curb on the other side.

The former owner put in some new steering parts - a Taskmaster reflex, new airbags etc. 

Wasn't that crazy large expense and I needed to spend all those stimulus money back in the economy :P
(The RV has some small issues, delamination underneath the passenger window and cracked rear cap)

- and I'm going to sell my Van.  Those things got soo expensive.  I bought the Van for $2000 and realistic could probably sell it for $15k huge demand.

tmsnyder

Very interesting.  Definitely let me know the weight!   So it gets up and goes ok it sounds like ?

I'm just curious.  The engine in my GMC is a Olds big block 455, yours is similar in length and probably bigger in frontal area and doing it with a small block 350.   It's interesting. I've been wondering for a while now how the last version of the 350 would do in a GMC, the version with the roller cam and vortec heads. That's what's in yours.

eXodus

I love the GMC Motorhome, was looking at a few during my search.
But I needed something where I can tow a trailer and there are not that many short RV chassis options.  The Dodge and Ford chassis have low GCWR ratings.

This p32 has a GCWR of 19.000 lbs. If the sticker weight is somewhat correct I could tow a 10.000 trailer.  :D Which I know I shouldn't do because the brakes on these things are mediocre.  W%

Engine:
I think I figured out the large cold Air Intake - those 2003 chassis had been often built with the 8.1L Vortec, the part numbers are matching with that.
The 492 cubic need to breath :)  so that's probably one reason why the 350 is doing so well.
At least no major restrictions on intake site. Will try it out for a few trips and see how it does power wise. The block has an large external Oil cooler attached, probably from the 8.1 as well.  So lot's of potential

What I did in my Van, was change the injector assembly center to multi port injection "Spider"
ACDelco 217-3029 GM
That made it run a bit smoother and woke it up.  I don't know if that upgrade is already in this RV.
The spider could deliver a lot more fuel, in case I want to add some shorty headers to get some more power.

eXodus

filled up tanks, few a tools and fluids and went to the scale:

Front 4320
Rear 5820
Total 10,140 lbs

It's about 700lbs heavier then the sticker "ready" weight.  (and I was sitting inside)

I think they under account for the tanks- there is a 400lbs for the tanks on the calculation;
The RV has a 40 gallon water - 30 gallon propane and 40 gallon fuel.  All those add up to roughly 740lbs.

GVWR is 12380 lbs  so I got over 2200lbs for our items and hitching the trailer - which is about 500-600lbs tongue weight.