Author Topic: P37 winnebago elandan radiator and alternator  (Read 284 times)

Offline zekeielt

• Test Driver
  • I own a: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1987
  • Model: Elandan P37
  • Chassis: Chevrolet
  • Engine: 454
P37 winnebago elandan radiator and alternator
« on: March 16, 2021, 06:12 PM »

Howdy group!  I have 2 questions about a motor home I purchased year and a 1/2 ago but only seen like 3 or 4 times.   Let me start by saying I purchased this motor home with a bicycle. Even trade for a specialized mountain bike. I think it's safe to say she needs a little love... With that said This motor home is a 1987 Winnebago elandan P37 with a 454.  For the time being my concerns are the radiator and the alternator. They're both junk.  My questions are what is the proper size radiator? 28"x17"?  Next question I have driven this motor home twice once from Apple Valley Minnesota to Hibbing Minnesota. The day I got it I knew nothing of RV's but got in and drove 4 and a 1/2 hours without a hitch.  Going back to that bicycle.....  I say this motorhome is already a win if a made it that far out of the gate....  Getting back on topic, the alternator.  I think most passenger cars use and 90 amp.  Based on the law of probability and likelihood that the alternator is an original or OEM,  What size is it and/or what size might be a good idea for me to use for replacement?  I will attach a photo of our motorhome.  You might find yourself a little surprised what a bicycle can get you in a motorhome.   Anyway any tips knowledge and know how would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance

Offline Oz

• Top Post Contributor
  • I own a: Winnebago
  • Year: 1974
  • Model: D24 Indian
  • Chassis: Dodge
  • Engine: 440-3
Re: P37 winnebago elandan radiator and alternator
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 08:27 AM »
Hello and welcome!
Whatever size the original radiator is replace with the same. There's been no reports made of overheating due to the OEM on being undersized for the application.

Alternator... the same. You can go with a higher output one if you plan on adding electrical accessories which run off the chassis battery while driving, but again, no reports of the OEM one being inadequate.

Offline zekeielt

• Test Driver
  • Year: 1987
  • Model: Elandan P37
  • Chassis: Chevrolet
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 07:16 AM »
I am getting 10 different stories from 5 different people about what radiator I need.  Is there any way at all you would be able to tell me what size radiator I need and with any luck at all maybe provide me a link? To last I heard I need a 28 by 19 Then someone else told me of was a B308...  Might you be able to point me in the right direction?  Unfortunately I am about 11:00 miles away from it right now and it is in a rural part of Minnesota where I won't find parts easily  So I would really like to find the parts before I get back to it.

Thank you.

Offline wayhilc2

• New Poster
  • Year: 1989
  • Model: elandan
  • Chassis: chevy
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 04:20 PM »
Wish I could be of more help with your radiator issue, but... I can bearly see mine of our 89 Elandan, but  can see enough to say a lot larger than  28x19. It is mounted between a top and bottom bracket no side attachments that I can see. I will keep searching and let you know if I find anything

Offline Rickf1985

• 6 year member
  • Top Post Contributor
  • Year: 1989
  • Model: Chieftain
  • Chassis: Chevy
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 04:53 PM »
Are you still looking for a radiator? I have the same year motorhome and I changed mine out to aluminum but I still have the old one and I can measure it.

Offline cook elandan

• 5 year member
  • Post Contributor
  • Year: 1985/1989
  • Model: Elandan/Elandan
  • Chassis: Chevy P30/ P32
  • Engine: 454 carb / 454 carb
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 10:20 AM »
hello, what is wrong with the radiator you have now.  You could just pull it and take it to a shop and have them clean it out. If you are going to get another one be aware that the hose attachments on it. mine has hose port on the front as well as the ones for the engine. the one on the front is for the fill hose.