Started by Smbwtf, April 13, 2021, 02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smbwtf

Can I do the job without removing the motor? I'm at an RV park

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Smbwtf

tmsnyder

The trouble is going to be keeping everyone from knowing what you're doing.   RV parks don't want you working on your motorhome there.

With a head gasket, you'll be draining the fluids first thing.   Oil and coolant.  If you can manage to drain those without anyone noticing, you might be able to do the rest of the job from inside the coach.

Is this a Class A? 

Do you have total access to the top of the engine from inside the coach?

It should be possible to do this.   Disconnect the battery, drain the fluids, remove the accessories, remove the distributor, remove the intake, unbolt the exhaust manifold, remove the valve cover, remove the valve pushrods and remove the head.  If you've broken off an exhaust manifold bolt at least you have access to the bolt. 

I think you'd be better off doing this in the parking lot of an auto parts store though.  That way when you need a part or a tool, the store is right there.  Also, it won't be as unwelcome of an activity as it will at an RV park. 

Smbwtf

RV park is ok with me doing it. I do have a way to get to a parts store. Thanks for the info.!

TerryH

No need to drain the oil - this is top end work - not bottom end.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

tmsnyder

True but if the head gasket blew then the oil is probably contaminated with coolant. 

Smbwtf