Excited about my new-to-me 1986 Itasca Sunflyer

Started by Martina, April 25, 2021, 08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martina

Hello!

I am a woman with a 1986 Itasca Sunflyer. It's been sitting for about 6 years. My parents purchased it from an older couple that only used it a few times. My parents only used it twice. The miles on it are minimal and the inside looks great.

I have no idea how much work it may need. I have no experience with RVs and little knowledge of car maintenance. However I do have excitement, willingness to learn, and a love for travel and freedom. I have no idea where to start, but I came across this forum and know it'll be a great place to poke around. I plan to have an RV mechanic look over it soon so I can get an estimate of how much work (and money) it will take to get this baby on the road. I think it will be well worth the investment.

Feel free to offer me advice!  :)

Oz

Welcome!  Many of us (including myself) started right where you are now, with lots of enthusiasm bit limited abilities. 

First, it's a good idea to have the RV assessed 100% by a professional.
However, be prepared for a possible sticker shock on the cost to have things done by a mechanic.

Nearly everyrhing you'll find here is based on DIY because of the very fact that, if we had to pay someone else to do the work, we couldn't do it all.

But, don't be dismayed.  Take it one step at a time.  You'll always gey good, honest, helpful advice here!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Martina

Thank you, Oz! I ordered a couple of books on RV repair and upgrades. My Dad has a referral of one guy who works on RVs. I'll set something up with him in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty good in the DIY realm- it's just never extended to cars. I look forward to connecting with people here.

eXodus

Welcome!

I started my RV journey in an Itasca like yours 6 years ago.  What model do you got? Pictures?

Went from small DIY projects - to engine rebuilds ;)  you can learn anything you put your mind to.

and you need tools, lots of tools, did I say RV are great excuse to buy tools ? :)clap