air conditioner is not working

Started by wiepie, August 06, 2021, 09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiepie

Tried to repair my Airco in our Chieftain and ad new gas.

First, i did an Air conditioning conversion but when i tried to vacuum pull it: the condenser leaks N:(, hoses leaks N:(, air conditioning pump leaks N:(, the dryer must be renewed :'( $@!#@!.

- Hoses we have to make because they are not available in the Netherlands.
- New air conditioning pump expensive in NL
- Dryer available something like 150 dollars
- The condenser cannot be found at the moment.

What can i do? Are these parts better available in US or do i need to safe a lot of money and search for the condensor?

eXodus

all those parts are ready available in the US and not very expensive.  Most of them are standard Chevy truck parts and nothing special.

Yet, not everyone will agree on my definition of expensive.  For someone $100 is expensive and for some $10.000

Compressor is $150-200
Dryer $20-40
I don't know which condenser you got - but those things are usually 100-$300

So usually for around $1000 you get everything new in A/C system in the US

Max

In my opinion Rockauto is still a good source for parts even with the shipping costs and import fees to europe the prices are ok( i  living in germany).
But you have to figure out, whats parts they did use in your motorhome. I my case none of the ac parts listed for a 1981 chevy p30 looked like the stuff in my 1981 winnie N:(
Maybe the motorhome ac is different than a truck ac.
The ac compressor (York style) i found by 1981 Ford e series parts and the drier and expansion valve by 1980 Jeep parts. You have to look for the right fittings (npt or o ring style).
But a condenser i could not find there :(

eXodus

many times the p30 came with a Chevy compressor, condenser and dryer,
The hoses and the evaporator had been supplied by the Coachbuilder (Winnebago)

Since these RVs are all very old by now,  people have switched in different parts.   Especially when they converted from R12  to R134a.
You are going to find all sorts of mix matched parts.

Those old A/C systems are not that picky with parts. When it bolts on and is somewhat the correct size,  it will most likely work.
Just find a large condenser which bolts on and has the correct fittings  It's not high tech.