Adjust timing after EGR delete, even if engine runs good?

Started by Winningbago, March 27, 2021, 02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winningbago

I read a lot on this forum about pros and cons of EGR delete, and I ended up removing mine and putting block plate over the hole and it still runs just fine. I included the vacuum diagram that was stock, and now the updated one.

Do I still need to adjust timing if my engine runs good? I don't experience any hotter temps that I did before, and I don't have any pinging or backfiring. I've considered putting the emissions system back in, but only because I can't really tell if it would improve anything. I don't seem to have any of the symptoms that others have said will happen in removing the EGR valve.

Oz

Personally, I think if you just did this and there's no negative issues so far, drive it a while and observe.

'If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Winningbago

Thanks Oz, it's just so hard to determine if this old beast is running as good as it can... If there's something that can be fixed before I leave on my trip in a few weeks I'd like to be able to do it. I know buying a wideband o2 sensor would tell me definitively but that is very expensive.. I know you're VERY experienced with these rigs so do you have any advice for what else I can possibly do to ensure everything is a-ok? Any other advice in general, I feel so overwhelmed with this thing!

Oz

My mechanical knowledge is pretty limited when it comes to the technical nitty-gritty stuff.  Checking your timing does make good sense, just to be sure.  Just like checking all your plugs, wires, vacuum hoses, alternator output, etc.

A good "pre-flight" check of as much as you can do is always prudent.

Blksmk80

Just like Oz, I pre trip the motorhome just like I do my big rig, rather take an hour out of my day and have a stress free or close to it as possible, then worry about things.

Yesterday would be a good example. I checked everything and had a random blow wind hit me while I was cruising at 55 mph. I lost my main awning . Pulled over and the only damage is a hole about 6inches jigh and 8 inches tall.. but I kept it out of the ditch.

Got to my rest area and patched up the motorhome.
On a good note, fixed the generator,  had dinner and start my new job on Saturday.  I'm only 5 hrs away.

Oz

Too bad about the awning, but best wishes on your new job!

Winningbago

I wanted to update this thread. I've continued my progress in this link for anyone that's interested:

https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=16026.0