Considering Buying a 1987 Elandan (37RQ?)

Started by Jim_Manley, March 21, 2021, 06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Manley

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering buying a 1987 Elandan (37RQ, I think!  Do any shorter models have the tag axle?).  It has about 41K miles and reportedly starts and drives as of yesterday's usual, at least weekly, warm-up, but I haven't seen it in-person yet, as it's a five-hour round-trip drive from me.

The poster on FB Marketplace replies in three-word answers, but I think she only (barely) knows how to post on-line (a few photos are sideways).  She may be the daughter or granddaughter of the original owner(s), who know(s) nothing about getting something posted on-line, correct orientation or not.  So, she doesn't know anything about the important stuff to look at in a classic motorhome (or anything with an engine, for that matter).

Photos look good for the inside, at least the ones that aren't overexposed to backlighting, and given their low resolution.  It has all-leather upholstery in the living area for which there's no ready evidence that anyone has ever sat in the chairs (no cushion sag).  The cabinets look like they're in nice shape and the appliances are ... well, there, and look original, in clean condition (on the outside).

The tires are inflated (worth at least one point each) and I'm waiting for photos of the date codes (hopefully much less than seven years old, and definitely not three digits!).  The engine is dusty under the inside hump hatch, but it's apparently stored on a property accessed by at least one dirt/gravel road (i.e., rural desert).

The exterior looks clean and in very good condition with no apparent UV damage, so I suspect it's been stored in a large garage, barn, or other out-building.  The roof, insides of cabinets, around the A/C units, and all other penetration points (ladder and guard rail support fasteners, vents, antenna mounts, cable entries, etc.) would all be looked at with two very jaundiced eyes for any evidence that water has ever penetrated inside.  The roof, windshield, windows, and anything else with seals would all be watertight tested.

The owner is asking $6,800, but I need to see the tire codes before I even think of driving five hours round-trip just to look at it and decide whether to have it inspected beyond my engineer's capabilities.  I can assess the appliances, utilities, electrical/electronics, and general condition of the engine, transmission, brakes, tires, wheels, frame, lines, tanks, etc.  I would like an expert on the 454, transmission, and P series chassis to check everything in the drivetrain, and take fluid samples to send for lab analysis if everything otherwise seems to be in decent shape (aka safely drivable at up to 65 mph for the 2.5 hours home).

They allegedly have all of the owner manuals and maintenance and repair records, which will be evidence that it's been taken care of mechanically as well as it appears use-wise.  It's been listed for seven weeks with no price drops, so they don't appear to be in a hurry (yet).  We'll see what stacks of 20s in an expensive-looking briefcase does to their eyeballs, with the depths of the stacks proportional to the condition of the rig.  ;)

Any comments about things specific to look at in this model and its components would be most welcome!

Thanks and All the Best,
Jim  KJ7JHE

Oz

If it runs, drives, stops and the roof isn't caving in, $6,800 is a good price.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

legomybago

The pictures to me look like sun damage, fading paint/or striping on the exterior, stained/worn carpet, the leather chair closest in the pic looks like it has some torn leather (possibly) down low. The headliner in the living room looks like it's wavy (could be the pic). If it does need tires, which I will about guaranty it does, your looking at least a couple grand right off the bat just to start. The fuel system in these years P30 chassis are famous for vapor locking, fuel starvation issues, rotten rubber fuel lines INCLUDING the rubber fuel lines on top of the fuel tank, which you need to drop the tank to replace them, and bad electric fuel pump relays. Look over the radiator VERY close for leaks, check the fan clutch and water pump for movement. This engine is at the age where a lot of items are due to need replaced, or about to fail. Been there done that. Plus that 37' beast weighs a ton, that motor/transmission has worked very hard it's entire life. If it has a gear vendor installed, that's a big plus. I love the lines of those rigs, hope it all works out for you. I personally think 6,800 is too much money for what Im seeing.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Jim_Manley

Quote from: Oz on March 21, 2021, 08:12 PM
If it runs, drives, stops and the rood isn't caving in, $6,800 is a good price.

Quote from: legomybago on March 22, 2021, 12:56 PM
The pictures to me look like sun damage ... I love the lines of those rigs, hope it all works out for you. I personally think 6,800 is too much money for what Im seeing.

Ah, a pretty succinct summary of what I was trying to say in not-so-few-words, Oh Great and Almighty Oz!  Yep, I'm aware of what could be wrong with this, legomybago - I'm an engineer and am an acolyte of Murphy, of His Famed Law and all of its corollaries.  Any issues I found would be grounds for deducting from the asking price, and it could get to the point where the owner will owe me to haul it away.

I haven't heard back from the poster with photos of the tire date codes and answers to any other questions, so they may be waiting for a non-inquisitive, unsuspecting mark to come along.  There are no photos of the roof, right side, or back of the MH, nor close-ups of the appliances, and I doubt whether I'd get any more if I asked.  That's why I'm sure the poster isn't the owner.  In fact, I get the distinct feeling the poster is living in the MH and isn't motivated at all for the owner to sell it.

A week later, still no responses, and the MH remains listed.  I'll be in the area of this MH within a few days to look at another prospective MH and I'll take a look at this to see what the warts really are just out of curiosity.

tmsnyder

That thing is a monster.  I guarantee it needs tires.

Sun faded. 

The only thing I'd worry about the fuel system is that it uses an in-tank fuel pump and a fuel pump relay which tends to get burned out when the fuel pump goes bad.  And the relay is impossible to find.

That thing is a liability to the owner, just costing them storage fees every month.   If you like it, I'm thinking like $2000. 

Baseballride351

This I know is a little late but I have that model. I got mine for $4500. Paid too much and put a lot into it. I want to sell it but wife is in love with it. Currently I dropped my fuel tank 90 gallon... Took some engineering. I fixed the fuel sending unit. I have drove mine about 600 miles and never had vapor lock issues so I'm sure the in tank fuel pump works. I tested it while out and it comes on. I'm currently replacing tandem axle brakes and cannot fin the tandem axle shocks. Delco don't carry them anymore that size. 14.25 extended and 9.5 collapsed. Only motorcycle shocks come in that size but I am sure are more heavy duty than what I removed. I've got some pictures in my gallery posted of what I want to consider painting. I will post pics of the inside of before and after. Hopefully you all can enjoy. The best thing in my opinion is to look for something newer with overdrive. That one there looks like time is not on its side. Good luck!
Draxxe Them Sklaunts