1987 Winnebago Elandan 37RQ Tandem Shock absorber

Started by Baseballride351, April 16, 2021, 10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baseballride351

Anyone know where I can get the replacement for this? The original is a Delco 4975425. The measurement is 14.25 extended and 9.5 closed. The only shock absorber I can find close to this is for motorcycles. I know the tandem says 3,000 pound load. The shock looked pretty pathetic and those bike shocks look pretty heavy duty. They might work.... Not sure.
Draxxe Them Sklaunts

Oz

Trying to imagine a motorcycle shock on a multi ton motorhome... just not thinking that's a good match.   ???

Chevy P30 chassis is a veey common mass produced chassis of that time. Still many thousands of them running the roads.  Check Rock , call NAPA.  I'm sure they're available.

Do a search here using .... P30 shock ...
Select "google" from the drop down.  I see several topics on this.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Eyez Open

Baseballride351

Well these are on the tandem axle. Not the main frame shocks. They are short. So, I ordered the Monroe light duty truck shocks with a spring which is an upgrade from what I took off. One side fits but the other side has a metal sleeve in it which I am trying to drive out. Going to get a metal jigsaw blade and cut it out. If anyone is interested they are Monroe 58241. I'll update once on and how it handles.
Draxxe Them Sklaunts

Rickf1985

The sleeve is supposed to be in there and I think you will find that the old sleeve is stuck on the post you are trying to put the shock on. you would be much better off getting the old sleeve of the post then pulling the new one out of the bushing. Which suspension is on this unit? They used Jet-Ride full air bag, Mor-Ryde rubber suspension and leaf springs. All of them used different shocks and you need to go by the suspension specs to get the right shocks.

Baseballride351

The old tandem shocks didn't have sleeves. They are a two piece rubber grommet that that slid on. No sleeve was stuck on it. The shock movement was only three inches before bottoming out which is exactly what I have on the new ones. From what I've read you cannot get any stock shock for the tandems anymore. You have to come up with what I have or find something similar. The tandem is only rated for 3,000 pounds. I'll check to see what air ride is on it. I have all the paperwork from when it was new written up at the dealership. The funny thing is back then I guess they figured people would work on almost everything themselves. I have repair and rebuild manuals from the dealer right down to the carburetor, furnace, air ride system, front air bag spring assist and much more.
Draxxe Them Sklaunts