Newbie 1988 Allegro Class C 24'

Started by Pimp Wagon, March 05, 2021, 06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pimp Wagon

Friends, Hello. Starting my uphill battle to restore this G 30 chassis RV.  I have some skills after restoring my 65 Impala SS vert back to factory....but I had my choice of parts....OEM...NOS..or reproduction...from usually a couple of different sources.  Not so with this unicorn with van specific stuff like sheet metal.  The RV is mostly intact with a newer 400 SBC crate engine and 400 Turbo trans.  75k on the chassis.  No roof leaks, roof A/C works but dash A/C needs a 134 conversion at a minimum, furnace works, water heater works, plumbing all functional except a totally smashed gray tank. polybutylene supply plumbing and ABS drain plumbing ok condition but ticking time bomb,  LP gas system functional but every fitting leaking, sensor controls for tanks/battery/LP lit and functional but not sure if accurate,  power converter a little weak putting out 11.12 volts, awning functional, 2 sheet metal panels toward the rear driver side damaged requiring replacement, rear brake cylinders leaking, and tires 16.5 dia. and toast, Onan online generator with 340 hrs that wants to start up but kills when you release the button.  These are my observations.  I do most of the light lifting myself; interior and exterior, plumbing, electrical, HVAC but plan on going with a pro on the chassis/mechanic heavy lifting stuff.  Showed my newbie by taking it to Camping World for an inspection where I discovered AFTER I had the inspection done that they won't work on an RV over 10 years old.  They also told me all the studs in the van were rotted (all aluminum stud structure on this RV) and the roof was caving in when I have been walking all over the roof since I bought it working on the awning and removing recent snow.  They didn't press me about trading in for a new one but they convinced the owners of 82 Honey that was in line in front of me to "trade up". 

I have had a hard time finding someone to work on the chassis; RV dealerships won't past 10 years, truck stops locally won't, bigger shops don't have big enough lifts....etc,  so I started with the tires and the only folks I could find that would help me was Discount Tire. Went in for 7-new 16.5s but after some research and the realization that 16.5s are hard to get, are expensive, and may leave me stranded with a week to get ordered in if I have 2 blow outs; opted for 16s. 16" wheels + tires cost less than 16.5 tires for all 7.  So turns out the 16s in the front have a clearance issue with the brake calipers.  So they are ordering 17s.  They know the 17s will work on the front by measurements but are concerned the slightly wider width may create contact between the rear duelies.  They have had PW for a week and 1/2 now and show commitment to make this work without going back to the 16.5s.  Looking for any info on a gray tank that will flange straight to my connections and sheet metal currently.  I feel confident when I find someone to work on the G30 chassis that there will be parts and expertise available to get this part handled; pretty common set up sounds like.  Thanks in advance for any responses....Bill   

Oz

Hello and welcome!  Love those 1980s Allegros.  Vintage RVs can be a challenge, but can be well worth the effort!

:) :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

wayhilc2

Welcome to the group. Looking forward to any post you may share with is. I enjoy  "avoiding"  as many RV shops, dealership and supply houses as I can as far as the coach portion of our rig. Chassis issues can usually correctly done by any good mechanic/garage. Just take your time with the coach issues, seek help from folk here or your tube and you will get there, again welcome.

Pimp Wagon

Friends, love those Winnies you have!  I looked at a couple during my search but they were all beat and too long.  I set my search length at 24' as Nashville's street parking ordinance is 24' max.  PW is 23'6" bumper to hitch.  Turns out the pad I poured and fence gate I put in for my work truck 13 years ago barely accommodate the Van.  I take it as an omen I got the right one.  So new friends....sheet metal? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? I don't currently have a pic of the damaged section as every photo I've taken avoids this area and I can't take a pic currently as I don't get PW back with new tread till late next week with new tread (prayer said).  Also getting a 500 error code and getting booted off every time I add a photo.  I 've searched a few junk yards online (a big one in Missouri...etc) with nothing going back to 88.  Anyone have experience with fiberglass repairs for a short term fix until I find what I need to do a proper repair?  Thanks in Advance.  Bill

Pimp Wagon

Hey Oz does D24 indicate a 24' craft?

Oz

Yes, the number after the D indicted length on all Dodge models.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca